Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Today i went out for more test results and i'm having one good and one bad news.
      The good news : this issue seems to be solved by AC3.2. RC7. The First autotune run was almost there where i was expecting the PID's. After a second run the PID's were close to AC3.1.5 as below :

STB Roll 11.25
      STB Pitch 11.25
      Rate Roll P 0.12; I 0.12; D 0.0150
      Rate PItch P 0.195; I 0.195; D 0.0150

This values seemed to work very good except for a strange motor pulsing in acceleration and in AltHold. But i think this could have also another source ?

The bad news i was having a really bad crash which stopped me to go further.

Attached the logs for AC3.2 _RC7 first and second run

ATT_Logs2.zip

• Pixhawk 3.1.5

after I had deleted Lopgs of the FC.
      the copter stops at RTL and land in 8-10 meter height.

before the logs were deleted, the function was ok.

regards
    Rainer

2014-08-27 10-57-24.log

• solved,

deleted logs from the SD card. all OK

• Went from 3.1.4 to 3,2 rc5

Would not arm said compass not calibrated. Calibrated 3 times and double checked in the set up that pixhawk / compass was selected. Eventually just confirmed via the HUD the compass was working... at least one of them.

It said there was an alt disparity?? But it held altitude and displayed the correct altitude in the hud. I turned up the EFK_CHECK_THRESH to 1.00000 not sure if that was needed or related. 

So far I only flew in hybrid but WOW cool!!! I really like it!! I feel like I gained two modes with hybrid. I used to have to burn up one of my switch positions with loiter to stop and see my ground control station for a minute and alt hold which I often fly in. Hybrid is both! it felt very smooth and responsive. No pid adjustments seem necessary. Great work thanks everybody!!!!!! 

• Forgot to finish my point on the compass issue... I disabled arm check.

• Developer

Richard,

We've add more checks around the compass including checking the device ids haven't changed since the compass was calibrated.  One issue we've found is that the device ids are messed up immediately after the firmware is loaded.  If you unplug the pixhawk, then plug it back in again and re-do the compass calibration it should be fine from then on.  In the full parameters list you should see some new parameters called COMPASS_DEV_ID and COMPASS_DEV_ID2.  the external compass will appear as 73225, the internal one will appear as -1.  If you see different numbers then this, then something has gone wrong and I'd definitely like to hear about it.

3702664248?profile=originalBy the way -rc6 (which will be out in a few days) will include another compass check which will compare the heading of the internal vs exterrnal compass and refuse to arm if they're off by more than 45 degrees.  All these checks may seem excessive and it risks people doing what you did which is turning off the checks but I promise each one of these checks is the result of a support issue we've seen and they will help stop problems.

Setting the EKF_CHECK up to 1.0 is fine.  You can even set it to zero to disable it completely.  The EKF check will only apply when actually using the EKF from -rc6 onwards.  From my testing it just doesn't seem possible to catch failures of the inertial nav without producing lots of false positives.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Hello Randy,

thank you for the good work.
          I have updated all 3.2-rc2-rc6 versions to my pixhawk build in china.
          But now after update to RC6 my compass doesent wok anymore.
          I have read the about the problems with the COMPASS_DEV_ID in RC5.
          In RC5 the COMPASS_DEV_ID was 73225 for external and COMPASS_DEV_ID2 was -1 for internal.
          Yesterday i updated to rc6 after a good flight with rc5. Then i do new compass and accel kalib,

My Pixhawk now says PreArm: compasses inconsistent.
          So i take a look to the Full Parameter List.

COMPASS_DEV_ID now is 73225 and COMPASS_DEV_ID2 now is 131594

So i think there is my Problem, COMPASS_DEV_ID2 is wrong.
          When i do a Prearm Skip Compass, i can fly in Stablize and AltHold.
          Is it possible the is a ID Check Problem in RC6?

Regards
          Sven

• Developer

Sven,

I also noticed that the dev id for the internal compass has changed from -1 to 131594 and it appears to be a side-effect of fixing the compass device id initialisation issue.  I think the best thing to do is to go through the compass initialisation yet again.  Hopefully we shouldn't have any more changes to the compass ids.

• Just to confirm:

What should be the Compass ID with -rc9?

I´ve:

COMPASS_DEV_ID 73225

COMPASS_DEV_ID2 131594

sometimes I get the:

"PreArm: compasses inconsistent"

• Developer

Andre,

I'm unable to open that .rar file for some reason.  I'm getting a permission denied error.

#1, this must be a Pixhawk (or you wouldn't see the message) so the orientation should be left as zero.  If it's set to roll-180 you'll very likely see the inconsistent message because indeed, the orientation would be incorrect!

As for failures with AC3.2, definitely please post your dataflash logs so we can have a look.  Apologies if you've posted them before and nobody looked at them.

This reply was deleted.

Activity