Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not necessarily. the chipset doesn´t do the party alone. Depends on the board, where its mounted on and its perpherals.

So I would suggest always to mention the assy (board) manufufacturer as well. Example :

I ve got a (very cheap) Reyax with NEO 8, which performs  (even in concurrent GLONASS / GPS mode) worse than the 3DR LEA 6H.  Another chipset of this 8 family, the MAX M8Q (mounted at the small CSG board ) is even great with the tiny 13x13mm active patch, according to VR great @the VR Combo assembly with the bigger patch.

Also the Skytraq Venus 822 (on G2M1) is a good chipset for concurrent reception,stationary great @ the center, visible as second GPS with good results but sadly , AC doesn´t seem get along with its NMEA output messages..so it was´nt usable as 1st GPS.

a7037921-170-3xGPS%20cutoff.jpgHere I have mounted the CSG NEO 8 as main, the REYAX NEO 8 as second rotated with Skytraq VENUS822, for comparision purposes.

Concerning -rc7 : Position Hold, ALT ,Stab + Landings and takeoffs are working nice with the setup above,

Great work! 

I am only only still (badly) missing

RESET TO ARMED YAW  (or does this work for someone else?)

• @gervais: I do agree and I should have mentioned the complete story: 

UBLOX NEO-M8N GPS GNSS + HMC5983.
          UBLOX NEO-M8N GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, QZSS and SBAS receiver +Compass

We have placed the CSG shop eval board in a case at the top of a carbon fiber tube (used to conduct various wires). This CF tube is connected to ground to avoid any radiated noise. This case is 30 centimeters above the power wires aluminium insulation plate.

The bottom of the "box" is covered with a copper compound to limit radiated noise as well. This covering is connected to the Rx and Pixhawk ground.  it is NOT connected to the main batteries ground as an opto electronic board completely isolate the power side (ESC motors and main batteries)

The ublox gps is NOT powered by any switching noisy device but by an LDO with a very low noise floor.

We do get roughly twice the number of sats and extraordinary low hdop.

Very happy with the setup

Henri

2-CSG-neo-M8N.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702765693?profile=original
          • Thx for detail clarification. Surrounded by guys, who are using just the chipsets ;-)

Henri, that´s what I call great prep. Good idea with the GND connected Carbon tube, Although overkill for my AC rc-x crash F450 set ups, but I will copy that for my better copters.

Anyways, since I m using these CSG Monsters, I am able to use GPS modes even at partly shaded places with good results.

I first could not believe what Peter reported at drones-discuss three months ago (although he is a very reliable source) , since I already bought about 8 consumer boards with rather disapointing flight results, like one Ali cheapo with the NEO7 which isn´t worth a penny, compared to this one.

I am looking forward now to some more Beidou sats, covering my place as well. (Don´t believe anymore in Galileo)

• HI,

i have do some flights with rc7 and test the Function RESET TO ARMED YAW. 

Does not work in RC7 for me at pixhawk

• Developer

I'm afraid it has been skipped in AC-3.2.  Issue raised here.

Which flight modes do you like to use it in?

Can I ask how/when you use it?  It seems similar to enabling simple mode which can also be done with the ch7/ch8 switch.  I recognise the difference that simple mode leaves the nose pointed in it's current direction but it's controls become from the pilot's point of view while the reset-to-armed-yaw actually moves the nose.  I'm just think that the result is very similar and it's purpose might also be similar.

• Thx for the reply, Randy.

RESET TO ARMED YAW was a great advantage over DJI products just coming with IOC (Simple Mode) .

Since I am used to fly a Copter the usual way, Simple Modes / IOC are rather confusing me.

But if I am getting disoriented , RTAY was a great help for me bringing the copter back.

Usually I am flying @ Althold and Position Hold (which replaced Loiter for me)

It would be great, if that Single Switch Helper could be re-integrated.

Thx.

• Thx for reply , Sven. Good to know, I m not the only one. Using PX as well.

Hopefully, Randy did not skip this foolproof function

• wanted to try APM 3.2-rc6.:

I did "acc" and compass calibrations. Then as this flew very nicely before tried to take off in Alt hold mode.

Never assume anything!! (I did assume that it would take off gently and straight)..

Gee I was really scared this time, the quad took off very strongly but didn't go straight up!

For unknown reason to me, it shoot south west were I was standing and miss me by few centimeters!

Not ready to try alt hold take off very soon!

Crashed and broke few props..

• Developer

Henri,

If you have a dataflash log I'll take a look and see what happened.

• Hi Randy,

please find enclosed the downloaded log using mavlink through USB cable (hope this will help).

I got surprised because 3.2-rc6 with pixhawk worked so beautifully on one of our hexa copters, that I got too confident!!

Thank you in advance for your time.

2014-08-23 17-09-27.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702665483?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity