Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi, just asking...on AC3.2-rc13, what are the causes of small heading errors (dcm-check/failsafe) that trigger Land? Will this happen in Stab, Alt-hold, auto, or any flight modes for that matter.  I will be flying over waters this weekend for corporate video of shipping vessels. If it LAND, will i be able to abort it by switching to other flight modes?  Thanks for the input and advise.

• Developer

Willy,

The heading errors occur when the GPS acceleration (derived from the GPS supplied velocity) doesn't match the actual accelerations from the accelerometers.  I.e. the accelerometers say we're accelerating north but the GPS says we're accelerating west.

My guess is that short-term errors can happen because the GPS is quite slow and laggy compared to the accelerometers.  So if you were maneuvering around a lot there could be a mismatch.

Yes, you'll definitely be able to regain control in another flight mode if it triggers a land.

There will certainly be an -rc14 before the weekend which will resolve the DCM-check bug.

• Randy, we have been very successful in this platform in our aerial activities in the farms. This we owe to the dev team especially to you. Your explanation is very enlightening and reassuring. I can't thank you enough. 

• Hi Ray, I had a look too.

You should also try using some Rate_Yaw_FF, you have 0.001, which is very low.  I think I typically use something like 0.050.  More in that range anyway.  And I would think you should be able to get the I-term up to 0.200.  And Imax should always be 4500 on Yaw, Pitch and Roll.

I also notice that your Rate Roll and Pitch P and FF terms are still pretty low.  So the helicopter is flying quite sloppy.  The is especially noticeable when you're in hover.  If you look at the Pitch/DesPitch and Roll/DesRoll, then also plot the GPS speed, you'll notice that when you're not moving, there's a huge separation between Angle and Desire Angle. This is because in hover, the helicopter controller switches back to a leaky I-term, which makes the I-term much weaker.  When you are moving, the angle control gets tighter, because you are running on full I-term.

So this indicates that your heli is flying mostly on I-term, not P and FF as it should.  Also, the size of the angle error might indicate that your mechanical setup is not good.  Your swashplate is not level, CG is off, something like that. 

I also see you aren't using EKF.  You should give it a try.  I find it more accurate than DCM.  Put it on Ch7 option and give it a shot.  If you're happy, then turn it on full time with AHRS_EKF_USE.

• Thanks Randy and Rob. I'll give it a shot.
    • tested yesterday arducopter 3.2 RC13 , ok loiter , rtl position point landing inaccurate than RC12 . regained control stabilize .failsafe dcm ? there seems to be some problem dcm failsafe no control quadricopter remote control input

2014-10-25 11-16-06.tlog

• Developer

fabio,

Ok, thanks for the report.  Your flight has uncovered a stupid error in the dcm-check code.  It's not correctly clearing the counter when the heading becomes good.  This means many small heading errors will trigger the LAND.

I'm afraid I will need to push out -rc14 tomorrow.  Really sorry about this everyone.

• Hi Randy,
          I think I had the same problem with the fw 3.2RC13 failsafe dcm while I was flying the quad landed alone.
          log has many errors Ekf failsafe as you can see in the picture.

regards

3702770489?profile=original

• Developer

Fabio,

Any chance you could provide a dataflash log instead of a tlog?

• Randy, please tell me What parameters should I set for GPS+Compass module rotation at the copter frame to 180 or 270 deg (for Pixhawk and APM @AC3.2)?

This reply was deleted.

Activity