Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Randy and Michael,

It is really helpful to know the ranges involved and the new auto calibration is pretty consistent now. The only odd thing is the calibration globes spin like crazy rather than track the movement. I seem to have an issue with my CSG NEO-M8N that I would love your advice on. The offsets are consistently -117 -141 553 and -104 335 5 plus or minus a few points. What would cause the 553 offset?   

• Developer

Just confirming that the sphere moves faster because data points are being collected faster. 

• Developer

Terry,

I think the globe spins faster because Michael has updated the rate at which the MP pulls the compass data from the flight controller.  I've ping him but I'll leave it to him/Craig to respond.

As for the compass offsets, large offsets are normally caused by metal near the compass.  That could be on the board itself.

• Randy, thank you again for your reply. I've got the 3rd offset down to 462 from 553 so mission planner will let this pass. I had removed the connectors and soldered wires onto the board and they were routed over the mag. Re-routing the wires brought the offset into spec. 

• Terry 

can you explain a little more what  you exactly modified. Maby can you take some pictures from the modified M8N.

Thanks

Sven

• Hi Sven,

Here are pics of the GPS.

1 is the unit with the cover which is normally held in place with black silicone.

2 is with the cover removed.

3 is with the GPS removed and flipped so you can see it.

I have also stood the GPS off the base about 4cm and that has no effect on calibration so the base is not affecting the offset. 

GPS1.jpg

GPS3.jpg

GPS2.jpg

• @Randy & Michael: Thank you both for the details.

Feels more comfortable knowing.

Even with the "speedy live calibration", i did a small mission (using 3.2) and looking at the plotted route against the original planned one, it was really pretty accurate.

(GPS on this small quad wasn't a fantastic  (UBLOX NEO-M8N GPS and HMC5983) but just a LEA6H with  HMC5883L compass.)

Compass is about 25 centimeters (9.84 inches)  from high current DC wires.

Theses wires are twisted to minimize eddy and or Foucault currents..

Anyway let's go fly and test.. ( when the wind will go below 25 knots!)

Henri

• Developer

Hi Henri,

MP is currently testing different auto complete methods, and we are narrowing down a good middle ground, in future MP's you will have the option to disable autocomplete, so you can collect as many data points as you like.

As for the values you received, the thing you need to remember is the total mag field is between 300-600, so as a percent the variation isn't as large as you think.

Michael

• I was trying to fly a mission witha DJI F550 frame controlled by a pixhawk running arducopter 3.2. The goal was to takeoff and fly sideways using the do condition yaw function. It worked once and I landed and adjusted the speed on the mission re-uploaded it to the F550 and then did an auto mission again. It flew to the far waypoint and then started making small circles trying to stay on course. I tried to take control back with the remote and hit RTL. Then it started doing much larger circles at the same altitude. Since I was beside it and it was not responding I grabbed the landing gear and pulled the battery. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2014-11-14 13-14-00.tlog

2014-11-14 13-14-00.rlog

• Developer

@wbal57,

The circling is normally caused by a bad compass heading.  I don't immediately see a problem with the offsets or orientation.  If you're using an external compass and it's well away from the power wires, the compass-mot could be making it worse so you could try disabling that to see if it helps.

I guess the vehicle stopped at one of the waypoints?  the issue may be that the speed needs to be filled into the second column of the do-set-speed command.  The column has changed since AC3.1.5 (which had it in the wrong column) and it seems like the MP labels are also incorrect.  I'll ping MichaelO about this.

This reply was deleted.

Activity