Developer

ArduCopter-3.2 beta testing

Warning #1: PX4/Pixhawk users upgrading from AC3.1.5 (or earlier) may need to re-do their compass and accelerometer calibration because AC3.2 also uses the backup compass and accels.  Pre-arm checks have been added to ensure this has been done.

Warning #2: on the APM2.x the logs must be downloaded using MAVlink instead of the terminal.

AC3.2-rc14 is now available for BetaTesters through the mission planner’s Beta Firmwares link.  The full release notes can be found in ReleaseNotes.txt and changes from -rc13 can be seen below.

Feel free to raise issues found during testing on this discussion or in the new support section in the APM Forum.

It’s a big release with “the onion” restructure and a bunch of new features (including these 57 closed items) so we need to re-test almost everything including all flight modes, all mission commands and all the new features.  Marco and I will be maintaining (and adding to) this testing list.  Issues reported will first be checked by Jonathan, Marco and I and then confirmed bugs/issues will be put on the github issues list (and then hopefully fixed).

Thanks especially to the beta testers who put their copters at risk testing each release.  Enjoy!

Changes from 3.2-rc13
1) Safety Features:
     a) fail to arm if second gyro calibration fails (can be disabled with ARMING_CHECK)
2) Bug fixes:
    a) DCM-check to require one continuous second of bad heading before triggering LAND
    b) I2C bug that could lead to Pixhawk freezing up if I2C bus is noisy
    c) reset DCM and EKF gyro bias estimates after gyro calibration (DCM heading could drift after takeoff due to sudden change in gyro values)
    d) use primary GPS for LED status (instead of always using first GPS)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Thomas,

It looks like you've got things setup ok for RTL in the parameters, however you've got some mag and acc issues.

No of lines 101641
                Duration 0:07:19
                Vehicletype ArduCopter
                Firmware Version V3.2
                Firmware Hash c8e0f3e1
                Hardware Type
                Free Mem 0
                Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
                Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
                Test: Brownout = GOOD -
                Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (40.12%)
                Max mag field length (582.86) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
                Test: Empty = GOOD -
                Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
                Test: GPS = GOOD -
                Test: IMU Mismatch = FAIL - Check vibration or accelerometer calibration. (Mismatch: 3.34, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
                Test: Parameters = GOOD -
                Test: PM = GOOD -
                Test: Pitch/Roll = FAIL - Roll (67.17, line 65233) > maximum lean angle (45.00)
                Test: Thrust = GOOD -
                Test: VCC = GOOD -

I would take a look at sources of vibration to start with. This can lead to large shifts in attitude especially altitude. When you upgraded to 3.2 from another FW version, did you redo the Acc and Compass calibration? Check your vibration levels as shown here. Although in most cases I have seen reported, it results in large increases in altitude. Also you have not done a compass mot calibration which is giving you mag field issues. You want to see the change in magfield as far below 30% as possible for reliable navigation. Follow the procedure here.

When you've done these things post another log file from a short flight in stabilize mode with logging set to Default+IMU and let's have another look.

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DY

Take a look at these two areas to start then things should improve.

• Thanks Nathaniel !

I will follwow your guidelines and let you kown the results.

Great support :-)

Thomas

• ok after another compass calibration + compassmot

and props rebalance :-) 

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
                    Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
                    Test: Brownout = GOOD -
                    Test: Compass = GOOD - mag_field interference within limits (14.84%)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
                    Test: Empty = GOOD -
                    Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
                    Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
                    Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.11, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
                    Test: Parameters = GOOD -
                    Test: PM = GOOD -
                    Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
                    Test: Thrust = GOOD -
                    Test: VCC = GOOD -

ready for some RTL test ? the vibration in Z is due to high throttle input :-) and GPS fail was because i didn't wait for 3d lock

2014-11-17 15-26-00.bin

• Just a quick thought here Guys,

Since we really need to keep the Beta Mission Planner in use for the Beta 3.2 firmware, mightn't it not be a good idea on the Beta Mission Planner top line to indicate that you are using the beta version, perhaps by putting in the Word "Beta".

We often get notified we need to update Mission Planner which, most people dutifully accept and tell it to go ahead and upload.

From what I can tell, even if you already had the Beta version of Mission Planner, it only loads the non-beta version so now you have a non-beta version of Mission planner trying to mesh with your Beta firmware.

And as the Centimeters to Meters Circle Mode Radius problem illustrates, this may not be a good idea.

The simple solution is simply to put the word "Beta" on the top of the Mission Planner page for the Beta version.

At least then we will know.

Best regards,

Gary

• I would like to activate a relay on the Pixhawk with the MAV_CMD_DO_SET_RELAY MAVLINK message. This message only requires a relayNumber and 0|1 to turn it off or on respectively.

After failed attempts to activate the voltage at what I think are the relay pins, I have some questions:

1.) Is the relayNumber the pin number (50-55), the aux number (1-6) or the R/C number (9-14)? It looks like the default relay is on pin# 54 aux # 5/rc13 (I also activated 55 as a relay as well using the config parameters.)

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-pixhawk-auto-camera-trigger...

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-relay/

It appears from other posts I've read that relayNumber is pin #, but I just wanted to verify that is true with the 3.2RC14+.

2.) Will MAV_CMD_DO_SET_RELAY work outside of a mission? When I attempt to send the message I get failure code #4 in the MAV_CMD_ACK message, which is either MAV_CMD_ACK_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED or MAV_CMD_ACK_ERR_COORDINATE_FRAME_NOT_SUPPORTED depending on if you use 0 or 1 based enums. (The firmware uses 1 based enums it appears.) I'm wondering if I'm getting a failure since it wasn't within a mission. What component should this command be sent to as well? I tried 0 (ALL) and 250 (SYSTEM_CONTROL). 

3.) I noticed that in the MissionPlanner that the servos can be activated manually, but the relay commands are only available when creating a new mission. The column titles are wrong for that command as well compared to the underlying MAVLINK commands. The MP claims that the two arguments are off/on and Delay(s).  Can the relay command be tested in the Mission Planner outside of a mission?

I'm assuming when the relay command is sent the sensor pin should be 3.3V, is that correct?

Thanks!

• Developer

Rob,

The labeling for this command needs to be updated in the mission planner's command list (issue raised here).  The actual columns are Servo Number (i.e. 1 or 2), on/off (i.e. 0 or 1).

Yes, this should work outside a mission.

It's possible to test that at least the relay pin itself is working using the ch7/ch8 switch.  yes, the relay should go to 3.3V.

• Thanks. I tried setting relayNumber to 1 and 2, but that also yielded an ACK response of 4. I've also tried 13 and 14 (RC #), but that didn't work either.

I can successfully do MAV_CMD_DO_SET_SERVO outside of a mission.

If I set servoNumber to 9 (Aux 1) and a PWM=2000, I get .35+ volts and with PWM=1000, I get an average of about .19 V. The ACK response is 0 as well. Works on servoNumber=10 as well.

The relay is enabled in the configuration settings so I'm not sure why the command is failing.

• Looks like relayNumber=1 works (Aux=6 pins)! But, relayNumber=2 does not work. I still get the ACK response of 4. 

I think its odd that relayNumber=1 corresponds to Aux=6 since that doesn't seem consistent with my 

RELAY_PIN settings: (or this diagram: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-relay/#Relay_pins_on_the_Pi...)

RELAY_PIN 54 13:APM2 A9 pin 47:APM1 relay 54:Pixhawk FMU AUX1 55:Pixhawk FMU AUX2 111:PX4 FMU Relay1 112:PX4 FMU Relay2 113:PX4IO Relay1 114:PX4IO Relay2 115:PX4IO ACC1 116:PX4IO ACC2 Digital pin number for first relay control. This is the pin used for camera control.
          RELAY_PIN2 55

13:APM2 A9 pin 47:APM1 relay 54:Pixhawk FMU AUX1 55:Pixhawk FMU AUX2 111:PX4 FMU Relay1 112:PX4 FMU Relay2 113:PX4IO Relay1 114:PX4IO Relay2 115:PX4IO ACC1 116:PX4IO ACC2

Digital pin number for 2nd relay control.
          • I figured it out. The first relay is relayNumber=0 and the second relay is relayNumber=1. It works as expected now!

• Developer

Rob,

Ok, thanks a lot for figuring that out.  I've updated the Relay and Mission Command wiki pages with what you've found so hopefully it'll be easier for the next person.

This reply was deleted.

Activity