Arducopter 3DR-B 880kv Motor Assembly Problem

Hello,

Just received my ArduCopter kit and APM2 a few days ago. I have been working on the assembly, and now that I have completed 2 arms I think there may be a problem with the way I am mounting the motors. After completely screwing in the motor to the arm, the motor has much more resistance when I try to turn it with my hand than it did when I just hold the motor and my hand and try to turn it. When looking inside the arm it looks like while the the motor shaft is turning but the little black lock nut is not turning. It appears that is bind against the cut out in the arm. 

I found this thread from December of somebody having a similar issue, http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/new-3dr-kit-problems

I just want to confirm that this a common issue before I go modifying my frame. Can anybody say how they solved this problem? What size drill bit should I use to drill it out? Should I just run a dremel around the inside of the hole?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks guys! Widened the holes with the drill press today, need to look at one size bit I used, I tried 5/16 first and that was two small then I used the next size up from that and it worked perfectly. 

• the bearing is 10mm diameter, if that helps :)

• It's a feature.  It would be nice if the product page or installation directions mentioned this.  I drilled mine out (don't remember the bit size, but I used metric).

• 3D Robotics

Ah. You have the 880 motors. Most people choose the 850s, which is what the frame was designed for. No worries: just drill out that hole a bit, a bit bigger than you'll need. Better to error a bit on a larger hole; there's no harm in that. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity