Hi all! After some pid tuning, but require further adjustment, today i made the first real flight with my "heavy ArduXOcto", i open this thread for sharing my experience if someone else wants build a similar  "heavy configuration" using ArduPiloltMega 2560, IMU, GPS and Baro, etc.
I have previously tested more expensive systems like Mikrokopter and Wookong, and unfortunately i think there is still much hard work over the code for make this electronic flight like the competition, but considering the price i would say  that goes too well.
I'm still quite satisfied, even though my copter in some aggressive maneuvers tend to wobble a lot, and in the Loiter mode some circles is inevitable because I believe that the management of the accelerometers correction is not optimized or inactive.
Over the baro range i've a good altitude precision, max 20/30 cm of excursion.
This is my hardware configuration:

- APM 2560
- OilPAN IMU
- Mediatek MT3329 GPS V1.6
- XL-MaxSonar MB1200 (with active filter and "thermal mods", 4 x 10 ohm resistor around the case)
- ESC HiModel Pro 30A, in high timing mode
- Two switching BEC 6V 5A (connected to electronics through two diodes 3A, the tension output is 5.33V)
- Motor TigerMotors MT2814 710 kv (mounted with 3° inclination for increase YAV control)
- Props APC 13x6.5 "E" (X8)
- Two-Way telemetry "Mikrokopter Wi232" (890 MHz)
- Six led strip connected to APM (pins AN8<->AN13 through ULN2003), thanks to u4eake for the code
- Homebuilt frame, mixed aluminum / vetronite (by AleBS, thanks dude! :P) + homebuilt hood
- Lipo 4s2p 5000 mhA 40c
- TX Futaba T12FG
- RX Futaba R6008HS

Total weight (with 2 lipo pack): 4.3 Kg...i forgot something or not? :-)

I'm uploading the video on my youtube channel, post them soon, for now I leave you some pictures.
I enclose
the parameters used for the flight test in a soft wind, but there's one error, the real "Rate Pitch I" is set to "0".

Best...

Marco

NOW IN "X8 COAX" CONFIGURATION...

One of the first flight:

New video with "X8" frame and "ArduCopter V2.4"

Views: 18391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@Marco I figured you would be able to help...

I thought the issue was firmware! I am guessing I loaded the "flat" oct firmware through Planner...

I have no idea how to use arduino to load the firmware... Can you point me to a decent how to please? I searched, but well, searching the forums is no easy task...

Thanks to other members input, I have found Arduino info...in the Misc of the Wiki...So I have now uploaded arduino and the sketch(s).  May I ask, what parts of the code did you change for your x oct? I have never played with code at all, so a few newb questions...

Do I need to uncomment (by removing the "//" prefix from a line of code) the line that has the frame defined?

Is this all I need to change in APM_Config.h  file??

//#define FRAME_CONFIG OCTA_QUAD_FRAME

/*  

options:  

QUAD_FRAME  

TRI_FRAME  

HEXA_FRAME  

Y6_FRAME  

OCTA_FRAME  

OCTA_QUAD_FRAME  

HELI_FRAME  */

Yes. is correct!
Uncomment the line (remove the "//") and write this:

#define FRAME_CONFIG OCTA_QUAD_FRAME

and remember also this one:

#define FRAME_ORIENTATION X_FRAME

Bests, Marco

Marco, Many thanks for your help, I have had a successfull flight with my X8.  I will post some photos and flights the next few day...

I am trying to tune my PIDS, and found your settings posted back in december, but there are more options now, and I am hoping I could talk you into posting current settings for your x8 setup?  I know we are flying different motors etc, but I can usually tune if I have a good start point, any help would be much appreciated!

I would also like to see your PID settings and thanks for what you have allready post it has been a bunch of help with my X8

Sid

Hi Ian, here my parameters, good luck! :-)
I wait your photos!!! :P

Attachments:

THANKS MARCO!

Marco

Thank you for so generously sharing your expertise and insight on octo-copters!!

As you have flown both flat 8s and X8s which do you prefer in terms of performance, stability and endurance?

I like the co-axial design but they have been avoided in my 100% scale rotary world due to aerodynamic interference problems.

Migliori riguardi / Best regards,  Enterprize

Hi Marco

I am converting a X8 from a hoverfly setup.

The motor rotation directions are opposite to arducopter.

Is there anyway I can change a Yaw control setting so I do not have to rewire all my motors?

Thanks!

No, i'm sorry, you must swap two wire in your esc and swap all the props.

Hi Enterprize, flat octo is more stable, but cumbersome.

thanks for the quick reply

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service