ArduIMU V2 no GPS lock with ublox GS407

S.O.S.    .........

I am new to the UAV community and I am very excited about the possibilities. I am learning a lot....steep learning curve.

I received my new ArduIMU V2 and ublox GS407 (with DIYdrones adapter board, preprogramed for ArduPilot) via UPS thursday!! Today was my first opportunity to work with the components. I soldered the header on for the FTDI connection, attached the ublox adapter and cable to the GPS port on the ArduIMU board, connected the FTDI cable and observed the pwr light come on then the rapid sequence of yellow, blue and red blinking lights. After about 15 seconds the yellow light came on steady. Then I waited........20 minuted later no blue GPS lock light.   Hmmmmm......GPS is warm to the touch so it's getting pwr, connection seems good, antennae is pointed skyward.

I uploaded ArduIMU code v 1.5, same result. When I ran groundtest.vi all the analog data from the gyros and accelerometers are streaming, but no GPS data. I then decided to move outside. I reset the IMU and waited another 20 minutes and still no GPS lock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Nathaniel, I just started my ArduPilot project and happened to come across the same problem as yourself for the GPS lock with GS407. Currently I'm testing out the GPS module using u-center and under my messages view, only NAV-POSLLH, NAV-STATUS, and NAV-VELNED are active. From advices following your post, there are some advice to enable the messages: NAV-SOL, as well as NAV-SVINFO.. However, u-center doesn't seem to respond to my instructions to enable these latter two messages, neither does it respond to my instructions to disable messages. Is there some special way I have to enable them?

My baudrate, com port seems fine and I am able to receive data stream when I look under Binary Console as well as Packet Console.

From your experience which are the problem areas that you had to address before you could get the GPS to work?

I have also been outdoors a few times, open area, antenna facing skyward and each time allowed my GPS in excess of 20 minutes to try to lock but it doesn't seem to respond.
  • Admin
    Nathaniel,
    No need to worry & panic, try again tomorrow morning after taking break. It will work soon, someone will be able to figure it out and help you sooner or later if you have not done it your self. Good luck & happy Easter.
    Fianlly was able to get GPS lock last night. Took a while but it did aquire a 3D lock. Thanks to all who offered support with their experience!

Happy Easter to all!
  • Developer
    I've mentioned this before elsewhere- the GS407 is very sensitive to power supply when acquiring the initial fix. If the supply doesn't deliver enough current it will list the visible satellites, but never get a fix. Try hooking the device's serial output up to u-center with a spare USB-Uart adapter so you can see the behavior with your arduimu's power supply.
  • have you checked if your getting gps lock with u-center?
This reply was deleted.

Activity