ArduPilot + IMU V2 flat + Venus GPS

Hi,

I am very new to this scene and I have the following hardware:

ArduPilot (with 328 chip)

ArduIMU V2 Flat

Venus GPS module (set to 38400 baud and NMEA)

6 channel receiver

servos, ESC, etc...

I have loaded the auduPilot 2.6.2 code on the audupilot and have the following settings:

#define SHIELD_VERSION 1

#define AIRSPEED_SENSOR 0
#define GPS_PROTOCOL 3

#define GCS_PROTOCOL 0

#define ENABLE_Z_SENSOR 0

#define XY_SENSOR_LOCATION ROTOCOL 0 

#define POSITION_1 MANUAL
#define POSITION_2 STABILIZE

The rest are add defaults.  The IMU has code version 1.7 loaded and PRINT_BINARY is 0.  The IMU GPS protocol is set to 1 and I get the followign output from the serial terminal (only powering the IMU - no ardupiot connected): (and some debug commands set)

???Welcome...***
???You are using Hardware Version 2...***
???Software Version 1.7***
???Ground Start!***
???Ground Start!***
???Ground Start complete
!!!VER:1.7,TOW:0***
!!!VER:1.7,LAT:240014600,LON:1209987900,ALT:0,COG:0.00,SOG:0.00,FIX:1,EVZ:0.00,SAT:0,TOW:0***
!!!VER:1.7,LAT:240014600,LON:1209987900,ALT:0,COG:0.00,SOG:0.00,FIX:1,EVZ:0.00,SAT:0,TOW:0***

etc....

I then reload the 1.7 to the IMU but this time with PRINT_BINARY 1 set.

I have connected the IMU to the AP and the GPS is connected to the IMU.  I have soldered the throttle fix and I have connected channel 5 to the CTRL.  The IMU is connected as described in :

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/ArduIMU

When powering on the setup, I get a flashing red light on the venus GPS and a GPS lock (solid blue) light on the IMU and a flashing blue GPS lock on the AP.  The green power led on the IMU is also on and on the AP the red power and yellow STAT led's are also on.

I can control the servo's from the transmitter and they seem to be working ok.  When I switch the channel5 on the transmistter (there is only 2 settings - not 3) the red mux led lights up.

In my settings for AP, this should mean I am in STABILIZE mode, but when tilting the moving the IMU no servos move?

If I hook up the FTDI RX to the TX line from the AP - I get the following on serial(38400 BAUD)

{[[»¿¯mmU»¿¯{o»_mo;=¿79.ª**ÍÊ«««}[_»¿¯Woo»¿¯[oo»¿¯_{o»¿¯{[[»¿¯mmU»¿¯so»_mn:=?79.ªª+ÍÊ^_^¿í¿oo¿w_[¯¿

and it scrolls pretty quickly.  I tried changing the BAUD and it has no significant effect.

My questions are:

1. Is hooking the ftdi to the TX on AP the right way?

2. If not 1 above then how do I hook it up to a GroundStation to see pseudo telemetry?

3. Have I forgotten anything? Anything missing in the setup?

Many Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,
    I have the same setup except I am also using ardushield V2. I encounter the same problem with solid GPS on arduimu and blinking GPS on ardupilot. I also get full manual control but as soon as I switch my control switch to stabilize mode I get no results: servos are not reacting at all to arduimu tilting..,
    How did you manage to solve this problem?

Thanks!
  • Hi,

I managed to get the stabilize mode working, but the GCS data is still all "binary" and I cannot decipher it?

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks
This reply was deleted.

Activity