At this point, I am just trying to get the ArduPilot Mega to operate successfully in stabilize mode.
If I have the USB attached to the IMU board and open up the CLI, when I switch into stabilize mode, it works just as it should. However, if just power it up without the USB connection, manual mode works but not stabilize. I have a feeling like I am missing a subtle but important step but I have combed through the manual and can't seem to find a solution.
These are the exact steps i am taking and the results
1. Make sure DIP switch it is flight mode
2. Turn on TX with the switch in manual mode
3. Attach battery to the ESC (which is powering the APM)
- TX/RX bind successfully
4. Hit reset (for GPS, thought I'm indoors so the GPS doesn't find a lock)
5. Wait for the gyro to set
- The 3 lights blink for a while and eventually just the middle light remains on
6. Move the stick to make sure manual mode is working
- It works fine
7. Flip the switch to go into Stabilize mode
- If I don't move the IMU at all none of the control surfaces move and the middle light remains on
8. Tilt the IMU around
- The control surfaces will jerk for a split second and then stop. Then the gyro lights will start blinking again as if they do when you first turn the board on.
9. I turn it off frustrated
It baffles me since the stabilize mode will work when attached with USB
I am using ArduPilot Mega v1.02
Thank you for any input.