Best method to mount ArduPilot Mega and auxillary sensors

This may seem like a noob question as I'm both a novice to RC flight, electronics and ArduPilot  Mega in general. Nonetheless, I got all the APM equipment (Oilpan, GPS, Pitot Tube, ZigBee wireless) and software working and have tested the output from all the sensors. My question is, what methods are available for mounting the APM? I have all this hardware just sitting on the table and I understand it's extremely important to ensure that the APM is securely fastened to the interior of the RC plane, but how is everyone else doing it? What materials work best for mounting the APM (plywood / plastic)? And how best to fasten it? Any advice is welcome!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mounting sensors in a a vibrating enviroment can be tricky if maximum performance is needed . In Mikado´s Vbar ,there is a vibe analyzer , it would be great to have it in APM ,especially for helis where a lot of devices in the drivetrain can induce vibes at different frecuencies .In airplanes is easy ,balance motor and prop , but also can help in the decision of fixing material because there is always vibration from the magnetic cogging and from those horrible alternating gas burners......:)))))

• Hey,

I've mounted all electronics in a block of foam that is velcro'd to the plane so i can easily remove it and place it in other planes.

The APM/IMU shield are first mounted on a piece of MDF. The RX is inserted horizontally in a slot in the rear of the foam block.

• 3D Robotics

We cover this a bit in the manual, but I like bolting it on a plywood platform with a foam buffer underneath. Here's a very simple example in an EasyStar:

We also sell a mounting enclosure:

Gyro tape is a good option. Depending on the type, adhesion is excellent with the added bonus of some vibration insulation. I have a paranoia of lifting traces off the board, however, and am considering permanently epoxy-ing a thin rigid substrate to APM and accessories to protect the bottom traces and keep the boards rigid during removal.

Other mounting materials include Velcro, screws and rubber grommets, rubber bands (yup) and hot glue.

This reply was deleted.

Activity