Hi,

Open source autopilots are widely used in the RC toys. I tried 3DR's pixhawk. It seems to be quite okay. There are also other open source autopilots.

The commercial autopilots are always used in commercial unmanned aircraft. They are somehow much more expensive than open source. I’m wondering what are commercial autopilots’ typical advantages compared with the best open source autopilots for conventional fixed wing usage. Could anyone give any hint on that?

Best,

Anna

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What companies do you mean by 'commercial flight controllers'.

• The company which sells commercial autopilot, e.g. Micropilot, Cloud Cap

Those companies need to adapt fast and have a tiny market share. Closed source autopilots have a limited future. They have a place but not mass market.

• (as far as it is for the USA) I think if you were to really study what the FAA is doing and trending towards, you will find that they are not in favor of any sort of "Open Source" AP's. So any sort of acceptance will not be coming in the near future if ever. At least that is what I have been seeing and hearing to date.

• Based on places I've worked/Businesses I visited, most commercial missions are (easily) done by opensource ArduPilot.

Some bigger planes were CloudCap, and now mostly Micropilot.

But now with even AP reduncancy based on cheap Pixhawks.

don't buy into "milspec"- which is mainly used as a word used by sales - most people seem to think they can throw together some AP with a few $ more expensive capacitors and +40degree components, and suddently fly standard servos and non-deicing wings in -50degree.   You can provide a good enviroment and conformal coating on standard AP, making it more resillient, then invest some on proper power supplies, and not throw all load on one on two.

• Thanks, Andre.

Could you please let me know, if that's for your convenience, which commercial unmanned aircraft or missions are done by open source autopilots?

• Most commercial missions are mapping, mostly for high precision elevation and terrain models using orthogrammetry or laser scanners.

Then we have visual, thermal and corona sensor inspection of high voltage transfer lines.

• Can you tell me which companies and which products use open source as you know, if it's for your convenience to tell? 

• Well, it would be impolite to tell who is using what, except for the three companies I am involved in, - sending you a PM with the names. .   Also at least 30% of other members of UAS Norway seems to do so, based on the relatively few I've spoken with.

• Thanks. Why they use open source but not 'more reliable' commercial solution? What's the main reason? To save money or to enjoy the more advanced function the open source autopilot provide?

This reply was deleted.

Activity