Building a fully protected multicopter

Hi all!

I´ve seen enough photos of people having cut themselves with their copters, to start thinking about building a fully protected multicopter.

Having searched for something similar, I found the safeflight copter, which is not produced any longer.

Reading about flight times and concerning the additional weight, I realised that it would not be an easy task, to build a multicopter, that has acceptable flight times (more than 10 minutes) and still is agile enough to have fun AND small enough or with easy disassembling, to be transported.

Additionally, I thought about giving it a good look with a kind of thermoformed housing.

Has anyone ever made a really safe housing (like the safeflight copter)?

I found some woven thread used to catch big fish, while fishing. It´s a half millimeter thick and holds about 40 kilos. That might be suitable for adding a netting over the copter, so nobody can stick their fingers into the housing of the props.

What´s really annoying, is that I have absolutely no idea of how to add that netting on the housing of the props. Glue? Weaving like in a badminton rack? It should be removable, since you have to change the props from time to time.

For the housing itself, I have made some styrofoam circles, but they seem to be to brittle to withstand a small crash. I thought about having a small layer of glass fibre added around them.

Whatever I think about, adds a lot of weight to the copter, so I thought about setups, that would suit my needs.

But I´m not sure, wether to build an Y6 or X8 copter with 10 inch props or simply a quadcopter with 15 inch props, trying to make the housing of the props as lightweight as possible.

Discussion and comments are welcome and higly appreciated!

Thank you,

Steffen

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, thank you for the answers!

Yesterday, I found out, that the guys at Dronewerx had the same idea.

If someone is interested, the frame is called PG Y6 and PG X8

If I would have knows this 3 weeks before, it would have saved me a lot of sleeples night ;-)

Just need to wait, until they are really going to sell it. There is no info yet, when this is gonna happen.

Thank you all

• 3701846647?profile=originalHi

need to make a good "airflow unit". just a fan cage that is solid as one unit. so it won't fall apart and will be stable. the ducting really does mess with the airflow but having a full 129600 degree cage is hard but not impossible.

All I see is that you need more power and it will weigh more but that's your price to pay. Any savings on making the cover lighter are little compared to simply removing the covers and being unsafe, so take the hit and make it stronger.

Here is my idea in picture form

• You would probably want to build a quadcopter because that way you will have to cover less of the props and thus save on weight. 

In terms of the protective housing you could have the mesh made on a metal (Light metal) ring that has clip fitting on top of the prop housing. 

• Hi NASMO,

thanks for the quick reply. Good idea with the metal ring. Could look like a badminton racket.

would also be stable.

I just thought: Why not make it out of cfk. And why not put the rotors facing to each other instead of the motors? This way, I could design a little more oval instead of rectangular, seen from the side.

Using google, I found a ready made frame with exactly the same features.

Take a look at the Dronewerx PG Y6 or the PG X8

Not commercially available yet but I just sent them an email, when it's gonna be sold.

I hope, I can wait that long, otherwise I'm gonna need some tips on how to get these parts cnc cut ;-)

And I don't need to buy 200 meters of woven high texh fishing thread

This reply was deleted.

Activity