Building my first hexacopter

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these sort of projects, and I'm trying to prepare all the components I need to build a hexacopter. I'm looking to buy the jD-Simplex Hexa (RTF) from jDrones, with the upgraded motors, ESCs, and the 12x45 props. I'm also planning on purchasing the radio set with it. However, I'm in a dilemma about the battery I should get and what the flight time will be. I've read almost everything I can about how to select a battery and how to calculate the flight time.

With the upgraded motors and ESCs, I'm thinking I need a 8000 mAh 3S1P 30C battery, because  8 Ah * 30C = 240 A, and the ESCs run on 30 A (so 30*6=180). Can someone clarify this selection for me?

Also, if I calculated correctly, this copter at 75% throttle will have about 4.5 minutes of flight (with the 8000 mAh battery). Does anyone that has experience with this drone have a longer flight time than that?

Thanks so much,

Kate

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for all the info! So the Iris with the Pixhawk will allow me to also go in and enter my own code with Arduino? 

• hi kate,

there is a vagrant based compile for pixhawk at present. I dont think it will compile for usage on an Arduino as the Arduino/APM hardware is AVR 8 bit based and the pixhawk STM32 based.. entirely different machine code as far as I know.. that being said.. the compile for PIXHAWK is CLI based as opposed to the gui based automation of the arduino.

But YES on writing and modifying and adding to the APM/PIXHAWK code base or any of the more popular Open Source MAVLINK based ground control stations, you will wind up learning and using a variety of tools across different platforms..

I can attest to the IRIS/PIXHAWK  programmability .. I have one myself.. even if they are a bit expensive comparatively. Good platform to learn the PIXHAWK hardware and software on where its already setup and configured for you.

That being said ALL of the 3DR multicopters come with PIXHAWK now  as far as I know and copters like the Y6 and X4/X8 can be folded up a bit smaller than the IRIS which doesnt fold at all and have a GOOD deal more  weight capacity for experiments and are NOT constrained by a HULL as in the IRIS case.

choices, choices, choices

hzl :)

• Developer
        You can program the Iris with your own code. It uses the Pixhawk autopilot. Which is based on a ARM 32bit processor. Compiling code for it is more involved than the APM2.5/6 hardware, but being more performant, you can do more. See http://dev.ardupilot.com for more info on that
    • Oh and if not a quad...theres the X8 from 3DR.....But you dont need it unless your lifting 10 go pros!

• Ahh another Stargate lover! ;) If I had to write out my feelings on that it would be a 2 page Rant!

• The APM from 3dr and jdrones is exactly the same and uses the same code. If someone told you that they don't know what there talking about. also 3DR is driving the drone movement and code dev more then jdrones. Ive pasted an exerpt from the iris below....If anything it should give you more flexibility. Also if you want the benefits of building a copter,(knowing how to fix it better after a crash) and still get a system that has everything you need then just get the complete kit version.

IRIS features the complete set of APM:Copter autonomous capabilities, including automatic takeoff and landing, custom mission planning with GPS waypoint navigation, stabilized loitering, return to launch, circling mode, and more. Combine Pixhawk's high-availability hardware model with APM:Copter's robust automatic recovery for superior reliability in the air. 

• So if I'm understanding this correctly... The IRIS itself is Arduino-based but the Pixhawk is not?

• Pixhawk can use the same programming as APM. It's just a newer, faster, and has more features, space, etc. 

Also since this is your first please watch this video I put together that shows everything you need to know before taking it airborne. http://youtu.be/lw6an0M_25Q

• Developer
        That is not correct. The autopilot hardware that is used in Iris is a Pixhawk. The code that runs in the autopilot is Arduino based. And I'm not sure how you got the impression that it cannot be reprogrammed but that is not correct either. An explanation of how to program is here http://dev.ardupilot.com
        • Thank you, so glad to finally get a straight answer. I was about to lose my mind in confusion.

This reply was deleted.

Activity