CASA approved RPAS training for civilians

I recently attended this training at Marburg and have to say it is world class. Duration of training is 2 weeks. The 2 minute video below summaries some of the UAV/RPAS Pilot training activities V-TOL is now delivering through the Australian Academy at Marburg in Queensland. This is an Australian first with CASA approval and at the completion of the training you are eligible for your aircraft radiotelephone operator certificate of proficiency and your CASA issued RPAS Controller Certificate (RPAS Pilot License). This is my first post so I am new to this and hope I got this right, I also hope some of you find the information useful.

cheers

http://youtu.be/qE1-985eQD0

Civillians get grounding in flying drone aircraft for first time The Courier-Mail.mht

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• QBE was $5000-8000 per year!!! when I got a quote 2 years ago. Unfortunately it was a one size fits all policy, that is the Reaper. I know CASA recently ran a workshop on the issue but I don't know the outcome. I did have a policy through Zurich that was basically PLI but titled UAV PLI...was about $500 but then they wouldnt renew. I friend has managed to get it again. But how good it is I dont know.

I am about to decide on a course, cant wait any longer for CASA 4 tier system. Options are limited as I only have the school holidays to do it in. VTOL is out for this reason, UPS and aerosdb are two potentials (1 week courses and I have met UPS guy).

If you can recommend others run in Dec/Jan i'd like to know. (I know of Cybertech, I will look into them but from memory they are in WA).

• I may have the opportunity to sit RPAS training in December with cyber tech, but not sure who is running it? Can anybody explain what the RPAS training is? Does it replace the controller certificate, or just the PPLE?

• Also, im also still a bit unsure how to go about the training specific to the aircraft. If im the manufacturer, how where do i get certified training from? There are plenty of companies around that provide training for their own aircraft, but what if I design/manufacture the aircraft myself. I know it wont look pretty, but it will be just as (or even more than) functional than an aircraft 3 or 4 times as expensive.

• Im in a similar situation to Darrell. I got into the hobby about a year ago and never really thought about doing it for business until a work colleague of mine suggested it. Since then we have partnered up and decided to move forward with the startup. Our key hold up at the moment is obtaining the Controller and operator certificates.

I found a company called flight data systems, who offer a complete package of controller certificates and everything to help get your operators certificate, the only down side is the cost of about $30,000 AUD, the plus side is that they provide all information for each step, including a week long on site course for operating instruction, they walk you through creating your own documentation, which you will then take to all this to CASA to apply for your operators certificate.

Link

Not sure if there is anything else out there right now that does this, but im hoping something similar comes up soon but a bit more affordable.

•  

My company, Overwatch, just secured approval to write drone insurance primarily in the USA and Canada but also worldwide.  The coverage is underwritten by Lloyd's of London.  The insurance is for hull, liability, storage, transit, spare parts, etc.  We will also write manufacturers liability for those in the business of manufacturing drones or component parts and payload.  We will be at the AUVSI show in Washington in August in booth 2555.  We are also lecturing and exhibiting at the Canadian Unmanned Systems show in Vancouver in November.  Our coverage is written specifically for Unmanned Systems.  We have seen some try to use a basic normal private aviation policy and heavily modify it to cover a UAV.  Our coverage is strictly for a UAV/UAS being used for commercial, educational, research, law enforcement, search and rescue, etc.  We are aware of the FAA limitations on commercial, for profit, drone use however we assume that policy holders will follow the rules and regulations as enforced.  We are not an enforcement agency but rather a risk management and insurance solution provider for the UAV/UAS community.  You can find us on the web at www.avalonrisk.com/overwatch.html or call us in Houston, TX at 713-343-0889.  Good luck in your endeavors!

This reply was deleted.

Activity