CASA approved RPAS training for civilians

I recently attended this training at Marburg and have to say it is world class. Duration of training is 2 weeks. The 2 minute video below summaries some of the UAV/RPAS Pilot training activities V-TOL is now delivering through the Australian Academy at Marburg in Queensland. This is an Australian first with CASA approval and at the completion of the training you are eligible for your aircraft radiotelephone operator certificate of proficiency and your CASA issued RPAS Controller Certificate (RPAS Pilot License). This is my first post so I am new to this and hope I got this right, I also hope some of you find the information useful.

cheers

http://youtu.be/qE1-985eQD0

Civillians get grounding in flying drone aircraft for first time The Courier-Mail.mht

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Adam

I want to apply for my UAV OC would that be something you could help with? How long do you think this would take? I have a DJI machine. Also what would be your charge? Let me know.

• Hi Splenkingforth - and anyone else who may read this,

Just adding my two cents:

Out of personal experience, if you're looking for UOC/CC information, I'd recommend visiting www.rpastraining.com.au.  The guys over there are extremely informative, and will more than likely assist you from A-Z.

• I have been trying to contact those very people for over four weeks now, but they never return my call. It was under a different website but the same contact details and same phone number/voice mail. Any idea who they are or another contact for them? Any help would be very appreciated Jeremy, thanks.

• Since posting the above, I have been contacted by rpastraining.com.au and they have provided a full refund as requested.

• I would stay away from rpastraining.com.au as Shane said. They don't deliver on anything!

I signed up in January this year and paid my $3630 for my PPL course, Manufacturers Assessment and 50% deposit for UOC operations manuals and UOC application support (which was $3100 + GST in total).

The PPL course was great, but unfortunately the 2 instructors I had are no longer there so I can't comment on their current PPL course. However, the UOC operations manuals which I have waited 4 months for are still not complete. All I received was generic manuals with my company information inserted in which you can download the from the CASA website (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101985). I had to contact them constantly to find out what was going on with my manuals and if I ever got a reply it was "we're working on them".

So after 4 months of waiting, I kindly asked for a refund. This has now been dragging on for 3 weeks and now they've stopped replying to emails.

My advice - stay away, stay far away. Now I will have to take matters to Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs to try and get my money back for a service they never delivered.

• Hi "Shane Richards"

Just making sure you are NOT talking about www.rpastraining.com.au as we have NEVER delivered a course with an instructor that did not pass his PPL exam himself. All instructors that taught our courses have passed each BAK, PPL and all Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) Theory exams. 

To add to that, we have full time employees that include a CPL CASA Grade 1 instructor and a UAV Controller with more than 2000 hours on the ScanEagle used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As for no contact? Have you tried to call the office on 1300 RPAS TRAINING (1300 772 787) 

Also, the fact that we have not received any complaint about this and that your very first post on this forum is of this nature doesn't make you very credible. 

Regards,

Wayne

• Yes don't bother. They will gladly take your money, then you wont hear from them. My mate did a so called PPL theory course with them. The instructor hadn't even passed the PPL exam himself. Wasn't even a real instructor. Don't waste your money.

• The company went through a revamp. Try them now.

Cheers

• Hi Everyone,

If anyone here is serious about setting up a UAV business in Australia, which is sounds like a lot of you are, I'd like to offer my services in working with you to obtain an Operators Certificate with CASA.

I have worked in the Aviation industry for a number of years, I have worked with CASA on manned projects that were not straightforward, I have also obtained an UAV Operators Certificate for Shift Geophysics 18 months ago and I am the CASA contact for that company.  The company has had no issues to date with conducting safe operations in accordance with CASA regulations.  The other item to note is that I also work as a safety consultant (with a Cert III in Occ health and safety), as CASA's main priority is aviation safety I can complete a very strong and compelling Part C to your OC application.

If you send me a message with your phone number I'll give you a call and we can discuss it in more detail.

Cheers,

Adam.

• can somebody enlighten me. if the requirements for the controllers certificate are just a pass in the PPl theory, manufacturers training (which CASA accept by any MAAA gold wing instructor) and 5 hours on MY uav. Why would I spend 6 thousand dollars and still need an OC at the end of it? If I get my cert on these condor things, im still going to need training (signing off ) on a real UAV, ie what ever one I actually want to use yea?

What am I missing?

This reply was deleted.

Activity