Connecting Dragonlink with New Pixhawk Autopilot

Hello,

I just received my new Pixhawk autopilot and would like to use my Dragonlink receiver with it on my Skywalker X8 flying wing.  Unfortunately, I have not found any instructions on how to connect the two, and have not been able to figure it out myself.  Given that the Dragonlink can output the required PPM signal through its Ch.12 pins, I connected the DL's Ch12 with the RC input on the Pixhawk.  I then plugged my ESC servo connector to Ch.3 output pins on the Pixhawk, and my elevon control surfaces into the Ch.1 and 6 outputs on the Pixhawk (this is how my Futaba 14-SG is set up and it works fine with just the Dragonlink).  

After powering up the autopilot and ESC, I get no servo or throttle response.  The buzzer light on the Pixhawk flashes red, there is no main LED light ON (the one just below the forward arrow on top of the Pixhawk module).  The little LEDs at the bottom of the Pixhawk module show:  Power solid green, B/E solid orange, and ACT flashing blue.

Has anyone successfully used the Dragonlink receiver with the Pixhawk?  I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.  This is all quite new to me.

Thanks,

Jan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• finally have my 14SG and Dragonlink talking but only through 8 channels.   I have the Futaba set up for 12 channels and on the transmitter they show activated but no response from the DL.   Is 8 channels all you can use with this set up?   Seems I read that somewhere before.

• ps...heres a link with another solution

http://multirotorforums.com/threads/futaba-dual-receiver-question.1...

its along the same lines as my other post

• Hey. I came across the same question from someone else. You have to go into the 14sg and set it to mode 4 or D, something like that. That enables Sbus for ch 1-8, and let's 9-14 be the regular servo out ports. Do a search for 14sg modes. I think you may also need a 14 channel Rx as well.
    • The DL has 12 Channels, with Ch.12 outputting a PPM signal (required for use on the Pixhawk autopilots, for example).  I have only ever needed up to five channels so I am not sure why the higher channels don't work for you.  Have you tried plugging in a servo into say Ch.9 and then seeing which of your channels on the 14SG can move it?  How many channels do you require to work?  What type of aerial platform are you setting this up for?

The other suggestion I would have is to contact Dragon Link directly.  I believe the owner's name is Mike, and he is very good at helping their customers out.  Let me know how it goes!

Jan

• Hey Jan, I have a Futaba 14sg and have been trying to connect it to my Dragonlink but have been unsuccessful.   How did you set your up to work.    It always worked well with my Turnigys and Spectrums but this is driving me nuts.   Thanks

Ronnie

• Hey Ronnie,

It's super easy, which is why I love using the 14SG/DL combination on all of my UAVs.  You simply plug the DL transmitter to the trainer port at the rear of the 14SG with the cable that comes with the DL.  Then go through the DL binding and calibration process as described on the DL website (it's very well described through their videos as well as text).  Once done, power up the DL while plugged into the back of the 14SG (don't forget to attach the DL's long whip antenna to the box first, BEFORE powering up the 14SG, otherwise you risk frying the DL!) and the DL's receiver should work (you will see a solid red and blue light on).  Plug in a servo into one of the DL receiver's channel pins to make sure that you can move it.  

Let me know if this helped, or if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Jan

• Hi Jan. It may have been just before, or after, that I came across a post on another forum about setting the 14SG up on DL. The question there was about turning off the 2.4 RF on the Tx. It was by holding the center of the scroll dial while powering on. I tried it and it does indeed bring up a menu for ON or OFF. Makes sense I suppose unless its possible to have a 2.4G rx onboard still for something like gimbal control. Mike

• Hi Mike.  Now you've got me thinking!  I have not been pressing the scroll dial on power-up.  I always assumed that by plugging in the DL and simply turning the 14SG ON would automatically bypass the 2.4 frequency.  I always check the light on the DL to make sure it's solid green.  Then start flying.  I think, though, that if I am able to control my flight surfaces with the DL's receiver, then I am in fact on the DL's frequency and not the 14SG's.  Or am I wrong?

• Jan...Im thinking that since you are further ahead than me on the DL futaba learning curve, that maybe keeping the 2.4G Tx ON, will let you use a separate 2.4 rx to control additional functions with the LD and RD dials, or the rear scroll wheels, like a camera gimbal, without risk of hitting a wrong 3POS sw and forcing an uncontrolled landing. That may get a bit confusing though.

• Hi Ronnie. I just got a DL setup, already with a Taranis, but I will be switching it to my 14SG soon. Both DL and Utoob have descriptions for installing the DL units. Apparently some Futaba radios dont have a power out pin on the trainer port, so folks have had to resort to fabbing something like a JST connector onto the cable and run the DL of of a small Lipo. One guy made a cable that powers his DL and radio with a 2100mah to give himself an allday fly time. When I tested my setup, it went smoothly. DL doesnt use a dummy load antenna anymore, rather the "micropower" mode for range checking. If you do this, make sure you release the bind button on top as soon as you see green solid the first time, or else you will overstep the sequence and it will go into acquiring new id mode!! Of course you have to do the bind process before attempting range check.

This reply was deleted.

Activity