Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

I attempted to performed a Yaw Autotune this evening on AC 3.3 RC5. I abandoned it after it appeared to have stopped. Now however I am wondering if it was still running and I couldn't recognize the movements (too small). I have attached the log in the hopes that someone can tell me if my hunch is correct.

On a separate note I had a question about moving the vehicle after achieving 3D GPS lock, but before arming. I have read that some people have experienced problems after moving the vehicle and I was wondering if there is something I should be concerned about, or if there are any specific issues relating to moving the vehicle.

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

• Developer

Hi Nathaniel,

The reason the autotune stopped is you dropped the throttle and started a decent. This tells autotune that you are repositioning the copter and it pauses the tests until you have finished.

As far as I know there shouldn't be any problem moving the copter after GPS lock.

Thanks Leonard, good to know. I will try again tomorrow. How long after you discontinue an altitude change should it resume Autotune?

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

• Developer

Hi Nathaniel,

It only needs to be level and with no input for a second before it restarts autotune.

Here's the log (BIN) the log file was over 7MB!

2015-06-13 19-12-45.bin

• Hello,

I am a long time lurker here but have been flying the quad on and off for a year or so now when time and the weather allows. I've been waiting for a day when I could test the autotune on 3.3RC5 which I attempted just now. I limited the axis to pitch only as my battery only last 8 minutes or so.

I wasn't having a lot of success as it kept drifting back and to the left. So I decided to land turn it around 180 degrees and try again. My thoughts were that this would prove of it was the Quad that was causing the drift or some prevailing wind.

Anyway, I autolanded very slowly and all looked good. Turned the quad 180 on the ground and used my phone to take off. Just because I could. At which point I realised the transmitter was still in land mode. So, I think I flicked the transmitter to loiter.

At which point the quad fell out of the sky and landed on its side. Which amazingly, from 30 feet or so appears to have caused very little ir-repairable damage.

I've looked at the logs and cannot deduce much from this but wondered if someone on here could take a look and see if there are any clues.

I'd really appreciate any help.

regards

Mark

2015-06-13 18-57-01.log.xml

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702026381?profile=original
    • Developer

Hi Mark,

That sounds like one hell of a corner case, well done :). I am glad you got away without too much damage.

You seem to have a .xml file there, not a .bin or a .log.

Thanks!!

• Ah, that was a bit foolish of me!

Sorry about that.

regards

Mark

2015-06-13 18-57-01.bin

• Developer

HI Mark,

This looks like it starts with the classic switch to stabilize with the throttle at zero. After that it seems your crash detector went off. Now I need to work out why that happened. I will need to chat to Randy about this one.

Tried an Autotune today on AC 3.3 RC5. At first I tried Roll and Pitch, but ran out of battery really close to completing the pitch portion. Loaded another battery and performed another Autotune, this time on the Roll axis only. It was able to successfully complete and I saved the resulting settings. I was unable to continue with the Pitch and Yaw tuning due to time constraints. I have a few questions.

1) After the Autotune was completed, the "Lock Roll and Pitch" check box was unchecked. should I leave this unchecked and continue with the Pitch tuning?

2) Could I copy the Roll values into the Pitch values as a starting point, and would checking the "Lock Roll and Pitch" do this?

3) What is the "normal" state of this checkbox, checked or unchecked?

4) If I were to complete the tune for Pitch and Yaw individually, would I expect a subsequent tune at a higher aggressiveness to be completed in less time?

My rig is a 2014 3DR Y6B with a Pixhawk V2 a GoPro and a Tarot Gimbal running on a 4S 6000mAh battery. The AUW was 5.7 lbs. (2.59kg) and the tune was completed with the GoPro mounted and the Gimbal running and aggressiveness set to .05.

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

This reply was deleted.

Activity