Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3.3 and 3.3.1 have no changes in that area.  This version uses EKF and has checks now to see if the two gyro's are outputting somewhat the same values.  If not then you get the BAD GYRO HEALTH.  Others have reported the accelerometer calibration failing but after repowering and running the setup again it would work.  Flying without calibration is a bad idea.

• If your accel failed, it's a bad omen for your next flight.  Lets see a log file.  I'm thinking it's going to be the controller, but can't say from just what you've told us.  I've had two Pixhawk's that I returned for this reason.  Though mine were different in the sense the horizon was all over the place.  

• Hi, where can I find the THR_MAX parameter? Because my Quad does not take off, only when i give over 80% throttle. The motors can lift up to 2,3kg per Motor and the Quad wheights circa 2.8kg.

• I need some help.  This may be OT but have been testing and following this thread from the beginning and it feels like home.  Just took my freshly re-built 960 Hex up for it's maiden flight.  All was going very well switching between Alt Hold and Loiter so I eased into a bit more aggressive inputs in Alt Hold with very good results until it went into a flat spin in a fairly sharp co-ordinated left turn.  I could not stop the spin but did manage to maneuver it a bit closer and reduce altitude in order to put it on the ground with minimal damage, unlike the previous build that roll spun in on tarmac and went up in flames.  I can see where it all went wrong on the log but can't see why.  If somebody could take a look I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm a bit gun shy of the 960 at this point.

23.BIN

• Developer

PaulR and I had a look at this and altough it could be the compasses we think it's more likely to be a mechanical failure of some sort that weakened the clockwise spinning motors (#1, 3, 6).  Our best guess is it's motor #6 (back left) because the vehicle rolled left and pitched back as well as spinning.

Supporting the mechanical theory is if you graph the Desired Yaw (red) vs Actual Yaw (green) you can see the that the Actual is leading the Desired (Note: this ability for the desired to drag around the actual is a safety feature so that if/when a vehicle recovers from a spin it doesn't then try to whip around to it's previous heading).  If it was sensor failure leading to a bad heading estimate then we'd expect the desired to lead the actual as the yaw controller tries to spin the vehicle (also EKF innovations would have spiked higher and faster).  In this case the controllers are not happy with the spin (see 2nd graph of Yaw Rate).

Also the bottom graph shows the motor output, they're all fine for a while but then suddenly diverge and it's the clockwise motors that go high and the counter clockwise hit their lower limits.

3702600949?profile=original

3702601291?profile=original3702601420?profile=original

• @Randy, Paul and the dev team.

Your diagnosis was spot on but took me a while to find.  The picture shows #6 position after landing a 15 minute test flight.  I had noticed this after the first episode but assumed it was from the hard landing, broken landing gear after hex rotated into the ground.  This time the aircraft flew amazingly well until the last few minutes and i initiated an RTL witch it performed quite well and landed within inches of take off spot, only to see #6 twisted over 20 degrees.  Faulty pivot mount on the strut.  I'd call 3.3.1 rock solid to have been able to land in this condition at all let alone in RTL.  Great diagnostics and firmware to match.

Thanks to all

IMG_1035.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702724988?profile=original
        • What radio are you using with the KDE ESC's?  I could not get them to work on my latest build; very odd behavior on arming.

How did you set up the end points? I am 100% sure it was set up properly on mine. On arming, one motor would not spin, even through the entire throttle range. Other times it would spin and once in the air seemed ok. However, I could never get a consistent arm/spin out of them.

• No Witches involved, just poor proof reading.

• Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this. That makes sense because it could explain the current spike at the start of the event. These are fresh motors and ESCs so I will contact KDE and see if they can help with analysis. Are the mag fluctuations during the event due to the spin?
    • not completely sure, but it looks looks like both compasses went crazy due to a current spike. 

those large setups do need compasmot. 

ch3 rcin.PNG

mag.PNG

current vs mag.PNG

This reply was deleted.

Activity