Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I did Auto Tune on rc5 again yesterday trying different props and larger battery with AUW 2.7kg.

The stab roll/pitch seem quite diverged. Also, is it normal to see Rate Yaw  D value of 0? I notice when the quad takes off it yaws a few times before settling to the heading.

One more question. Does lowering the roll/pitch sensitivity help with Follow Me mode? 

7IHnnwK.png

• Testing 3.3RC5 using PIXHAWK and latest mission planner Beta: Flight modes have disappeared!

I mean the "drop down boxes" letting you select what mode for various value of channel 5 aren't present any more.

I think it is a MP beta problem as re installing latest stableversion (1.3.28) did fix the "undocumented feature"

Henri

• PID Help..?

I updated the firmware on my QAV 540 to 3.3rc5 and did my first test flight yesterday.   I like the audio tones for feedback that have been added and the flight was ok, the PosHold was very steady on 11 SATS with  a HDOP between 1.9 -1.8 

It was a bit windy and it held position pretty well.  However, it was loose in the pitch axis, when adding throttle to go up or decreasing throttle to descend, it would get into a rocking mode like a seesaw.  not very extreme, and I only had to stir the stick a little to break it out. But it had a definite tendency to rock, also the yaw seemed too sensitive.   The PosHold kept the heading very well, but when in stabile mode, I had to work the rudder a little to keep a good heading.  Probably the wind was causing that.

This is a heavy build, QAV 540 with extended arms, 380KV motors, has a tarot gimble for GOPRO, carrying 2 3S, 5100 MAH battery packs in series for 6S, the CG seems fine with my Gopro in the front and battery packs toward the rear.

I assume the PID values need to be adjusted.  I don't have a screen capture of my current settings, I may need to post that before anyone can help me, but in general can someone tell me which PI value or values I should changing?

Thanks 

Richard- Kd5zzl

• Developer

Hi Richard,

To help you I need to know what size prop you are running.

We also have some motor linearisation code in there that compensates for battery voltage drop over the flight.

To get the most out of your copter you will probably have to do an autotune or a full manual tune. I can help you with either.

• Hi Leonard,

Is there a chard of wich values to set for MOT_THST_EXPO ?

Ex.:

0.65 is for 10" props

0.70 is for 12" props

0.?? is for 13" props?

and so on

0.80 is for 18" props

• Developer

Hi Geert,

So I wrote down the numbers for each prop size from 4 different manufactures. Some sizes don't have much data but here it is.

0.45 to 0.55 is for 5" props
          0.62 to 0.65 is for 6" props
          0.66 to 0.68 is for 7" props
          0.66 to 0.70 is for 8" props
          0.67 to 0.67 is for 9" props
          0.64 to 0.70 is for 10" props
          0.70 to 0.75 is for 11" props
          0.73 to 0.78 is for 12" props
          0.72 to 0.77 is for 13" props
          0.71 to 0.77 is for 14" props
          0.70 to 0.76 is for 15" props
          0.70 to 0.76 is for 16" props
          0.68 to 0.62 is for 17" props
          0.68 to 0.75 is for 18" props

So for my copters I am going to go with: 
          0.65 is for 5" props
          0.65 is for 6" props (I think the low numbers come from flexing props and I use HQ and they are stiffer than normal)
          0.675 is for 10" props
          0.725 is for 11" props
          0.75 is for 12" props
          0.75 for 16" props
          0.75 for 18" props

As you can see, the data moves around a bit and changes a lot for different manufactures and maximum power level of the motors.

• I am running 12-5 props.. I haven't done auto-tune, it is always windy it seems when I have the time and chance.

I like manual, because If I can learn that, It would be valuable knowledge.

Thanks

Richard 

• Developer

Ok, Start out by setting these parameters.

MOT_THST_BAT_MAX,25.2
          MOT_THST_BAT_MIN,21
          MOT_THST_EXPO,0.7
          MOT_THST_MAX,0.95

To do a manual tune you want the feed forward off

ATC_RATE_FF_ENAB,0

Very carefully take off and gently make sure you have control over your copter. Start with tests at small angles like 5 degrees and work up to 20 degrees slowly. The way I do each test is I move the stick smoothly to the desired angle then let it spring back quickly. Check both roll and pitch this way.

Set your Rate D term on your slider. Set the lower limit to your current setting and your upper limit to 4 times your current setting. Do 20 degree tests above and listen for oscillation. If you can increase it all the way to maximum, set that as the minimum and the maximum 4 times this and repeat. If you get an oscillation that looks like it might cause you to crash then simply move your slider all the way back to minimum.

When you have found the point where the copter just starts to oscillate, back off so it just stops oscillating. Look at the value in mission planner and write it down.

Now set your tuning slider to Rate P. If you don't do this now you will overwrite the value you enter for Rate D.

Reduce the number you wrote down by 25% and enter it into Rate D.

Repeat this process for Rate P. When you are done change to Stab P and set both Rate P and I equal to the value you wrote down less 25%.

Repeat the same process for Stab P.

This won't give you a tune as good as autotune but it will be ok.

Now once you have tune Roll and Pitch like this you can use the input shaping to soften the feel if you like.

Set

ATC_RATE_FF_ENAB,1

ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX,11000

ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX,11000

if you see your copter overshoot from a 40 degree test then you will need to decrease ATC_ACCEL_X_MAX. You may then decrease it further until you get the feel you like.

If you want to tune Yaw then I really suggest giving autotune a go.

Be very careful at all times during this process. On early flights just lift off by 20cm to make sure it is flying well. That way you can drop it onto the grass by cutting the throttle if you need to.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

• Hi Leonard

I seem to have a problem initiating the auto tune mode.

ON a great calm morning yesterday, I tried to do the auto-tune. 

I have a switch assigned in the setup to use RC 7 and confirm in the radio setup that for channel 7, that it is going from the full low to full high pwm values when I operate the switch.  (980 to 1980 approx)

I don't get feedback in the flight modes in MP that I am going to auto-tune when I operate the switch..

Should I?

I have made sure my trims are centered.   I flew in calm air and switched into ALT hold at about 20 feet.

I flipped the switch and nothing happened.  Am I missing something that i need to do, and or is there a way to verify while still on the ground that it is going to go to auto-tune when I flip the switch?

• Thanks a much Leonardthall

After reading all that, I am reconsidering, using the auto-tune might be the way to go.

I have set the switch before to do an auto-tune and it seemed to be right, but when I went into the air and used the switch, it didn't do anything.  I read later that if there was any trim, it wouldn't start.

It is possible I had a click of trim in.  I made sure all my trims were nuetral and will try it again.

Is there a way to confirm that auto-tune is set up correctly before the flight?

With Mission planner, I can always confirm flight modes, but what about AutoTune?

RE

This reply was deleted.

Activity