Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.
Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.
Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).
Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station. Video description is here. The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.
Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting. HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features
Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner. The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.
Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.
Changes from 3.3:
1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff
2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)
Changes from 3.3-rc11:
1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent
Changes from 3.3-rc10:
1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF
Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)
Thanks for your testing!
Replies
I also use M8N from Drotek. I had to close a slolder bridge to switch it to 3.3V signal level. Did you change the configuration of the M8N according to the Pixhawk´s requirements?
It looks like your GPS uses SBAS (GPS-Status 4). I would recommend to switch it off because it causes jumps in position when it switches to/from corrected mode.
Hi Hubertus I have soldered the 3.3v bridge and i have tried three Drotek GPS units ..The SBAS thing is interesting as the Gps is supposed to be flashed with the correct config code when the pixhawk boots up. Even Randy has said in the past the config is sent by the Pixhawk so no need to do it manually ..Maybe i have a problem and its not doing it automatically, what test can i do to make sure its getting set by the pixhawk, can check baud rate and other settings by looking in MP while it all powered up ?
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-ublox-gps/ shows how to go through pixhawk with ublox.
Connection Option #1 – Mission Planner and Pixhawk as Passthrough
So you can verify the default settings of your gps connecting directly with ublox and after that compare to the settings sent by pixhawk when you connect ublox trough pixhawk to gps unit
Hi Paul ..thanks .. I can do the Ublox thing ok, used to do it all the time with the old 6n units but only direct connection using ftdi unit not using MP (But have not done it with any M8Ns, I was not aware there was specific new config file for the 8, I would like to Check the config in MP while GPS is running I know there is a comprehensive status messages you can look at ..i just have to find the right lines .. and which line tells me what info ... i guess i am looking for baud rate of 38400 and UBX ? these are the two main ones ..or others to check on...Also how to switch off SBAS? cheers
Reuben, when you go trough MP you will still use ublox, so you can see the difference in settings between default settings of of the gps (when using ftdi) and settings of the gps as instructed by pixhawk. You still use the ublox programm interface.
Ok I tried to connect through MP .. but could not .. when pressing Mav serial Pass not much happens press it a 2nd time MP freezes.. I did open U center and tried to set the port and TCP but the Network button did nothing "no additional menu to set port" etc...i was using V8.01 ..so upgraded to 8.18 it did have some Tcp settings but still no luck .. finally i used the old FTDI cable .. seems it was default at 9600 baud I loaded M8 txt config file .. and checked sbas was disabled in the config screen. I also fould an sbas disable setting in MP params ..so did that to . I also made a small emi shield ..and retested ..it was better but still got Horiz error and Velocity error once or twice .. I finally fitted a Neo 7M unit and redid compass calib and flew again ..better no errors just compass bar got a little high now and again
OK Guys
I am panicking!!... Have an Air show to do in 24 hrs ..at the airport and I have just replaced my trusty APM 2.5 to Pixhawk running a Dropix M8n + compass loading 3.3.2 and have been out flying after doing all Calibs .. now what happens is some times the copter will just take off in an unauthorized direction and in Auto mode does not follow the plan well and can shoot off to other location ..seems to be EKF errors but I am new to this and the logs now have some much info its mid boggling ...my vibes seem good as when i was flying i was watching the two monitoers on MP (vibe and EKF) all the scale bars hardly move!! .. can someone Randy :) maybe,or any other helpful sole take a look at the log ? which is better Tlog or BIN? Thanks guys really worried now about flying in a public event.
Thank Thankyou !!
8.BIN
2016-01-21 13-49-28.tlog
Hi Guys ... I have just seen there is a EKF Horiz Varinance error and Velocity bar goes up a bit too high ..
I did wait quite a while Sats and sensors to settle you can see the time slot in the replay of the Tlog .. i dont think i was too low as we fly loads of missions at low Altitude the Apm never gave trouble with the same airframe, yes I agree it is a little under powered but has been like this for 3 years. It it wise to disable on board compass?
Cheers Guys
You are comparing apples to oranges. APM != Pixhawk. They may run the same firmware but that is pretty much where the similarity ends. You are also comparing 3.2.1 with 3.3.2 firmware which again is a VERY different beast. You basically took out an old 4 cylinder engine with an 8 bit computer control and replaced it with a new 8 cylinder engine with a 32 bit computer control and are trying to say that it should run the exact same as the old engine because the chassis and body are still the same.
Hi Craig
Yes I have have put a cleverer brain into the same chassis .. and the chassis is good, vibes low ..yes a bit under-powered but flown over 140 missions .. but why misbehave so much now?..is it compass or bad Gps ? I do have the same machine running pixhawk and Dropix M8n but that machine only differs by having a little bit more power and running 3.2. and that machine has done also over 100 sorties no issues.
:)
Also a side note, the Dumber controller APM 2.5 had no trouble controlling the same chassis .. I was expecting a better result with the smarter faster controller. I know firmware is very different but much better ! So should have no issue ..But it has .. and what is it ??? the the million doller question :)
needlless to say I am pulling my hair out .. time is running short for me.
Thanks for your help so far.
-
34
-
35
-
36
-
37
-
38
of 449 Next