Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Today, I had a close call, but was saved by RTL.   I have been trying to get my copter to be stabile and work as a video and still photo platform.  

In tests leading up to todays FPV flight, things seem to be working pretty well.  I am running 3.3.rc1..  It is a F-750 class quadroter with 15" props, 380KV motors and it seems pretty stabile when I take off and hover in stabile mode bur it tends to settle down or slowly climb causing me to constantly work the throttle.  I can switch to ALT hold, and it seems to hold a better vertical stability, but still drifts up and down a little.  When I switch to POS-Hold, it seems to keep a tighter vertical position, but the motors seem to surge a little, but never less, holds altitude plus or minus about 4 to 6 feet.  

I need to use it to do a photo shoot so, I decided to give it a full test and FPV flight in a open field.    I first did a hover and tried alt hold and pos hold, and other that the drift up and down, it seemed ok, so I  took to the sky..

I began forward flight and gave it some throttle to clear a fence, and began to get confusing images back via FPV that told me that I was going backwards to one side, as I pressed forward on the stick. It appeared to have a mind of its own but was moving away and higher pretty rapidly. At one point I reduced throttle to minimum. and the copter appeared to flip, according to the image coming back from the camera. (wearing googles prevented me from being certain)  

at that point, I was about 1/4 mile away, and over an area I didn't intend to fly over so I triggered RTL by turning off my transmitter and hoped the PIXHAWK would sort things out for me.  

It did faithfully come home to my relief, I have never had the guts to try it before, but RTL sure saved my copter today.

I will attach my og in case anyone could help me understand what went wrong..

40.BIN

Richard,

Your statement and Cala's question confuse me. You said you triggered RTL by turning off your transmitter. But clearly you have throttle fail-safe disabled in your parameters. Also your RCin ch3 drops to the throttle min value (1002) indicating your transmitter is still on. It appears in your ch5 RCin that your triggered Mode 6 (RTL), is this correct?

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

• Hi Nathaniel

I do have a switch for RTL, I have several copters set up different ways and under the duress is was in, I forgot which switch position I needed.  The reason it did go to RTL when I turned off the radio is that I am using a EX-UHF receiver, and set it to go to failsafe when I turn off the radio.

I have all my copters set this way just to have a backup way to go to RTL, or in the case my radio transmitter dies or if I get out of range..

I set it to failsafe to RTL by setting the RTL switch on and verifying the RTL state in Mission planner and then using the bind button on the receiver.   If the receiver detects no signal, it goes to that setting..

thanks for the info about setting the RTL height, I will implement that before I fly this again.

As to the vibration, two things I found  one motor has a lot of vibration, the other three had some also, but not as bad.  I have DYS BE5208 330KV motors and they are large pancake style motors. 

I am trying to figure out a way to balance them, I wish there was a dynamic balancer on the market!

The other thing I found is there is a canopy on top to the platform that the PIxhawk is mounted. The lower part of the canopy is touching the arms where they connect to the frame.  The vibrations from the arms are being transmitted to the PIxhawk, not from the base which is mounted with anti-vibration foam tape, but from the top of the canopy touching the top of the pixhawk.

I reworked the area so that the canopy is isolated from both the arms and the pixhawk.

also, I re-worked the mount for the pixhawk by making a double isolation mount. a mounting plate is mounted with anti vibration material (3/16 Sorbothane) and then the Pixhawk is mounted to that plate with the same material (Sorbothane)

I think I might be ready to try again to do some testing, after I do a compasmot to see what that looks like.

Thanks much..

Any suggestions about balancing pancake motors?

Richard

Kd5zzl

• Developer

Hi Richard,

If I understand you correctly, the canopy issue is a great way to get massive vibrations. Anything that can vibrate against something with a small gap will cause much greater problems than rigid body transmission of vibrations. So you should see an improvement after fixing it.

Motor vibrations are often caused by the shaft of the motor not being set deep enough in the bell. This can let the bell move up and down slightly (sometimes more than slightly). If this is your problem you can loosen the grub screw holding the bell and move it down so it is snug against the bearing. Be carefull as there is a fine line between just snug and damaging the bearing.

• Thanks Leonardthall, for that insight.. I checked the shafts for play and I don't feel any, I can't see any wobble either, but it is possible there is runout in the shaft i guess, this forum is a great place to get help

Thanks Guys

Richard   KD5ZZL

Richard,

With respect to balancing the pancake motors. I suspect the process will be similar to balancing other types of motors while perhaps being a bit more difficult due to their limited cross section. However if you have an iPhone/iPod you can try this method. There are similar Android apps available, however I haven't found one quite as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItntpZZH4g

The process is quite simple really, and very effective.

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

• Hi Nathaniel

I was going through the radio setup, after isolating the AP and making all the suggested changes other than doing the motor balance (I may just replace them for dynamically balanced motors).

and found something very interesting.. 

In my flight mode setup, I found that "super simple" was ticked for the position hold flight mode..

Could make for an interesting FPV flight... Don't try it!   

I have an idea how it might have gotten checked, but its a long story..

The question I have is it that "can super simple be applied to Position hold'

IT did seem to go one way, when I command another. 

Richard Kd5zzl

• Developer

Richard,

Yes, simple mode and super simple mode can be used with every flight mode except ACRO and Drift.  In those modes, it's simply ignored.. it won't do anything bad.. it simply won' do anything.

I've checked the wiki and it says what Nathaniel says so i'll update the wiki now.

Thanks for the report!

Richard,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one. According to the wiki it only applies to Stabilize, Sport, Drift and Land modes. However I don't know when the pages were last updated. It sounds like you may have had some experience with it already. If you are feeling adventurous try it the next time you fly (non FPV of course).

I'd love to see another log after you finish your vibration reduction regimen.

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

This reply was deleted.

Activity