Developer

Copter-3.3 beta testing

Warning #1: an issue has been found with Tower's Pause button which can cause the vehicle to fly to an old position if the vehicle has not sent a position update to Tower in some time.

Warning #2: Copter-3.3.2 fixes a bug found in Copter-3.3.1's desired climb rate initialisation which could lead to a sudden momentary drop when switching from Stabilize or Acro to AltHold, Loiter or PosHold.

Warning #3: Copter-3.3.2 fixes an issue found in Copter-3.3.1 which could lead to hard landings in RTL or AUTO if the WPNAV_SPEED_DN was set too high (i.e. >400 or 4m/s) and/or the WPNAV_ACCEL_Z was set too low (i.e. <100 or 1m/s/s).

Warning #4: a bug was found in Copter-3.3 which could cause a sudden crash if you abort a Take-off initiated from a ground station.  Video description is here.  The bug is fixed in Copter-3.3.1 so we recommend upgrading.

Note #1: AC3.3-rc8 corrected a long standing bug in the HDOP reporting.  HDOP values will appear about 40% lower than previously but this does not actually mean the GPS position is better than before.
Note #2: if upgrading from AC3.2.1 the vehicle's accelerometer calibration needs to be done again.
Note #3: set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to "3" and reboot the board to enable FrSky telemetry like in previous versions.
Note #4: the wiki will be updated over the next few weeks to explain how to use the new features

Copter-3.3.1 is available through the mission planner.  The full list of changes vs AC3.2.1 can be see in the ReleaseNotes and below are the most recent changes since AC3.3.

Sadly this version (and all future versions) will not run on the APM2.x boards due to CPU speed, flash and RAM restrictions.

Changes from 3.3:

1) Bug fix to prevent potential crash if Follow-Me is used after an aborted takeoff

2) compiler upgraded to 4.9.3 (runs slightly faster than 4.7.2 which was used previously)

Changes from 3.3-rc11:

1) EKF recovers from pre-arm "Compass variance" failure if compasses are consistent

Changes from 3.3-rc10:

1) PreArm "Need 3D Fix" message replaced with detailed reason from EKF

Changes from 3.3-rc9
1) EKF improvements:
    a) simpler optical flow takeoff check
2) Bug Fixes/Minor enhancements:
    a) fix INS3_USE parameter eeprom location
    b) fix SToRM32 serial protocol driver to work with recent versions
    c) increase motor pwm->thrust conversion (aka MOT_THST_EXPO) to 0.65 (was 0.50)
    d) Firmware version sent to GCS in AUTOPILOT_VERSION message
3) Safety:
    a) pre-arm check of compass variance if arming in Loiter, PosHold, Guided
    b) always check GPS before arming in Loiter (previously could be disabled if ARMING_CHECK=0)
    c) sanity check locations received from GCS for follow-me, do-set-home, do-set-ROI
    d) fix optical flow failsafe (was not always triggering LAND when optical flow failed)
    e) failsafe RTL vs LAND decision based on hardcoded 5m from home check (previously used WPNAV_RADIUS parameter)

Thanks for your testing!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm still not getting any Bata versions showing up on the MP after clicking "Beta firmwares" . I see 3.3.1 Quad and after I click "Beta firmwares"  It still only shows 3.3.1 Quad.  Are the beta firmware's no longer available through MP?

• I had that happen the other day as well... I quit and relaunched and then it showed up. Also not sure about MP but in APM P2 you have to make sure you have 'advanced' selected in the menu items upper left. 

• I just saw Randy's post a few posts back mentioned using Ctrl-Q while in "Install Firmware" screen on MP. I tried it just now and now I can see "APM;Copter V3.4-dev Quad"  The pop up states these are the last trunked fws, so not sure if that's the same as a beta version or not.  

• I think there is often beta that although new has had some flight time by the devs but still not known to be %100 stable. When you do the Ctrl-Q you are installed 'bleeding edge' beta... it's less tested. It might have had changes that very day and not been tested as much as normal beta. If that makes sense. 

• Sorry my typo errors. I meant I only get v3.3.3 on stable or after I select beta. Just now I tried APM P2 advanced beta but I still only get 3.3.3 in both stable or beta. I would like to try beta 3.4 but not sure I am game to use the trunked version.   What version did you get ? Also what are the pros n cons between APM P2 and MP?

• AFAIK, the 3.4 is not in beta phase yet.

That's why it isn't showing in beta releases.

You can use the 3.4 dev with Ctrl-Q in MP and test it but as it is still changed by the devs, you could get a stable version on day and a buggy one on the other, so use it on your own risk.

• I have been running 3.4 dev without issue.  APM P2 and MP are very similar. I haven't used MP in a long time as my PC bit the big one but as I recall MP had a few more options. I have often seen post of screen dumps of reading logs and it seems like MP showed warnings or errors in the log I haven't been able to duplicate in APM P2 although it might be user error on my part. 

Also... I recall just recently Randy mentioned sometimes it might say one version you are installing but it's actually the newer version. Sometimes MP or APM P2 hasn't been updated as fast as the dev copter firmware so it shows the wrong version however if you look at the message screen while your controller is booting up you can see what version you actually installed. BTW the only reason I have been flying 3.4 is because it has boat mode aka it will arm even if it's moving a bit. I don't really recall what other features 3.4 has.

• Randy,when can we expect 3.4 in mission planer....is this thread dead or what(no post for 7 days),do i need to follow whats new somewhere else?

• Developer

We are behind on Copter-3.4 and many of us (including me) are scrambling to find new sponsors which is adding to the delay.  Still, we're making progress towards Copter-3.4 but a number of features will be pushed to Copter-3.5 (instead of holding up Copter-3.4).

The last three things we're planning to do before pushing out Copter-3.4 for beta testing are:

- motor library refactoring (only brings minor improvements but greatly improves code structure).  This is nearly done.

- terrain following for auto missions and RTL.  I hope to produce a video soon showing this off.

- one-shot support.

• Do we get same features as Arduplane 3.5.0 released on 30th January 2016?

https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/blob/master/ArduPlane/releas...

...Can we use 3.4?  I forgot what is magic combination of keyboard buttons for that?

Where can we give donations to make things rolling on?!

Randy,something is terribly wrong if you and other core developers need to scratch your head for sponsors..instead being paid in millions now with regular salary....

Chris Anderson;in my country we call this treason!No,High Treason!

This reply was deleted.

Activity