I hope some of you will help me, I see many posts where nobody gets help or advice. I am putting together a prototype quad for a system i am developing for law enforcement. I have been desig ing for a long time and its time to compile a list of components. With all the choices out there i am hoping you can assist me in narrowing the field. I am trying to achieve a functioning drone for as much flight time as possible. I need an array of sensors to help create a semi autonomous aircraft which is only a part of the system I am creating at the end of the campaign. To get more investors I need a functional physical prototype. Prove the concept is my goal. I am a disabled veteran , I was a mechanic and pilot of helicopters and have had many r/c airplanes over the years but this is more complex. Anyone help me start with a list of hardware to start buying so I can assemble a drone that is upgradable? I am looking at a max weight with flir and 4K camera combo of around 2-2.5 kg. Thanks in advance everyone.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Without an NDA I can't get into specifics

OG said:

Sensors depend on flight controller , integration also depend on flight controller, video and telemetry systems also can depend on flight controller you need to choose FC, then Arial platform copter, airplane, or VOLT craft .  what is your patent pending system ?

• That is interesting,  a companion computer is something I hadn't thought about. If I choose the pixhawk 2.1 and install the arduino board, will I still need  a companion, like a rasberry ?

MattMGN said:

Their are plenty of Tx/Rx video system available, it only depends on range (and cost) you are expecting but also on quality and reliability. Some inputs you have to take into account :

• HD video = high quality, some delay in transmission VS Analogic Video = lower quality, low delay, high reliability
    • 1.2GHz have a better range than commonly used 5.8GHz

Once again it depends on your constraints of your application

Before choose sensor, you have to explain what you are expecting by 'semi autonomous' :

Automatic flight path based on Waypoint and GPS? (if so go with Pixhawk 2 or 3 and Mission Planner Software)  You will be able to add sensor for altitude control (lidar lite for example). also you can add some basic Obstacle Avoidance features

If you are looking for a platform able to perform advanced OA features, you have to bring up a Companion Board in parallel of your Flight Control to process data from Camera or 3D Lidar sensor http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/companion-computers.html

Once again, without informations on your applications, i can't go further in helping you

Matt

• Sensors depend on flight controller , integration also depend on flight controller, video and telemetry systems also can depend on flight controller you need to choose FC, then Arial platform copter, airplane, or VOLT craft .  what is your patent pending system ?

• Their are plenty of Tx/Rx video system available, it only depends on range (and cost) you are expecting but also on quality and reliability. Some inputs you have to take into account :

• HD video = high quality, some delay in transmission VS Analogic Video = lower quality, low delay, high reliability
    • 1.2GHz have a better range than commonly used 5.8GHz

Once again it depends on your constraints of your application

Before choose sensor, you have to explain what you are expecting by 'semi autonomous' :

Automatic flight path based on Waypoint and GPS? (if so go with Pixhawk 2 or 3 and Mission Planner Software)  You will be able to add sensor for altitude control (lidar lite for example). also you can add some basic Obstacle Avoidance features

If you are looking for a platform able to perform advanced OA features, you have to bring up a Companion Board in parallel of your Flight Control to process data from Camera or 3D Lidar sensor http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/companion-computers.html

Once again, without informations on your applications, i can't go further in helping you

Matt

Companion Computers — Dev documentation
  • I knew about calc, my needs are. From scratch, what systems should I get, if I want video links what RX tx should I get, what sensors should I get, ect...

MattMGN said:

If you want to compare several configurations you can use this site : https://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

It will give you some info about flight time regarding motor, battery, propeller...

3520 T-Motors and 5000mAh 6s battery with 13'' propellers should be a good entry point

Matt

• If you want to compare several configurations you can use this site : https://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

It will give you some info about flight time regarding motor, battery, propeller...

3520 T-Motors and 5000mAh 6s battery with 13'' propellers should be a good entry point

Matt

eCalc - xcopterCalc - the most reliable Multicopter Calculator on the Web
    get the best drive for your multirotor! ✓ fast & reliable simulation - no more guessing ✓ most comprehensive motor database ☆ over 1 million calculat…
This reply was deleted.

Activity