Skycat parachute launcher for Drones

Dear reader,

We are now live at www.skycat.pro. The development project continues, and updates are added to this blog in random intervals.

We have parachutes launchers available in many weight ranges; optimal 1 - 6 kg and these could be extended with higher impact level up to 11 kg. For larger up to 23 kg multicopters we have XL - series with pilot chute principle.

For those who wants to digest all information available of products, we have left this blog as it is. This blog follows closely main steps we have gone through while developing parachute launcher. Blog might feel like Do It Yourself kind and to be honest, in the beginning it was.

After hundreds of hours thinking, designing, prototyping and testing our patent pending launcher turned to be the most reliable parachute launcher for professional use. We have searched all possible boundaries of technology and from this blog you'll find results of these successful tests but also not so successful tests.

You never know where The final limit of technology is without experiencing it. That's the reason why we have done tests for scenarios which might not be even realistic on flight.

For production versions of Skycat we could proudly to say that we have experienced zero mishaps, never failed a single eject and parachute has deployed every time. This includes rescue scenarios with every imaginable scenario copter could face in air. Check this out as one sample of our test sessions! 

Skycat parachute launcher has been tested beyond all imaginable abuses copter possibly could experience in flight. We have sink it to water, it has been heated hours to 90°C and exposed to extensive moisture, we have frosted, defrosted and frosted it again, it has been in mud and snow and still it has worked. Same overshooting tests we have done also for electronics. This is not promise you can use our products outside of submarine but we have tested it so :)

This blog will still be updated as well our Facebook pages www.facebook.com/skycat.pro and Twitter at https://twitter.com/skycatpro

Fly safe - Let's keep our copters flying!

Henri

Skycat.pro

3691048063?profile=original

DJI Inspire 1 / Skycat X55-CF parachute integration by www.remotevision.ch:

3691048138?profile=original

3691047900?profile=original

3691048089?profile=original

3691048166?profile=original

3691048255?profile=original

Other documentary videos:

Skycat Twin test session

OPENTX for parachute eject and 6POS switch

DUAL spring loaded switches - single RC channel for parachute eject, OPENTX

Brake enabled SimonK firmware

Ground eject demonstration in slow motion 

Water test

Aerial test No 2 for Opale Paramodels 2.5m^2 parachute 

Aerial test No 1 Opale Paramodels 1.8m^2 parachute 

A moment of deploy

Tower test 3

Tower test 2

Manufacturers contributed to this project:

- http://www.opale-paramodels.com/

http://www.fruitychutes.com

- www.vectorheli.com

- www.3drobotics.com

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies

• Hello Christian Wiggers!

I don't know if it can help you but I think there is something to do with this system with a mini Arduino and an accelerometer. With time to configure it, I think it could avoid the necessity of having another remote control.

Or maybe with the Mayday module from North UAV?? A little pricey but I think it could do the job.

• Mayday looks promising attempt for automatic eject. We are one of the Kickstarter backers and are eagerly waiting unit for test.

Henri

www.skycat.pro

• Or maybe with the Mayday module from North UAV?? A little pricey but I think it could do the job.

I have seen the Mayday system, and i think it look promising. But for now I would like at manuel system, were I control when it shall work. I have a idea about mount a SPS Safetypowerswitch so when the parachute deploys the power cut off.

It is very important that the system is simple and works every time because the Danish transport and Construction agency is going to test this system and hopefully approve it in the same way as with redundancy is approved on the S900 and S1000.

• Christian, 

No reason here to feel disrespected :)

All emergency recovery systems on market for Inspire 1 which I've seen are controlled similarly: PPM or PWM signal to recovery system and parachute is released. If there are partial solutions available it doesn't mean it is more simple. It just means that you need to figure it out how to use it by yourself.

If someone has a radio or automatic eject module which is able to control RC servo, it can control all of these today known recovery systems.

Our reseller has just bundled package with all needed gears including independent radio which is easy and simple solution today. There are people who need plug&play recovery system now. When another control solution is introduced, could current RC transmitter be replaced with that new one. With Skycat you can still use use original transmitter if you want and also another new one, i.e dual radios.

Henri

www.skycat.pro

• All emergency recovery systems on market for Inspire 1 which I've seen are controlled similarly: PPM or PWM signal to recovery system and parachute is released. If there are partial solutions available it doesn't mean it is more simple. It just means that you need to figure it out how to use it by yourself.

I know - it is not possible to get a servo signal out of the flight controller on the Inspire 1.

If someone has a radio or automatic eject module which is able to control RC servo, it can control all of these today known recovery systems.

That is in fact what I am looking for. A simpel 2,4 GHz TX/RX system with one channel that can control a servo. If a product like the transmitter in the french video exist it could also be a product for your reseller and still be a plug&play product.

• Here is short demonstration of performance of the parachutes we have played during this year. Weight of payload is 15 kg and parachutes are recommended from 9 kg - 13 kg to 22 kg.

• This video shows this very large parachute in use with multicopter. Copter is small and is used only for testing consistency of recovery system. Heavy multicopter impact demonstration videos follows later. Now the best video to judge impact with heavy object is video above. 

Altitudes on most of the tests we have done during this year has been in between 20 - 30 meters. That's pretty much maximum we can use in this yard for avoiding risk of ending to tree. Climbing to tree few times is very good motivator to develop low altitude / zero speed recovery systems :)

• Hello.

Of course, this is a GREAT idea!

I think it would be better suited for larger drones/multirotors, but if it works on smaller ones without negatively affecting its preformance, then so be it!

Personally, I am gald to at least see the number of comments, reflecting interest, as I have seen so many good ideas posted in the forums, with 0 Comments, 0 Comments, 0 Comments...

I am just glad to see you are getting somewherew with this - and all the best luck and success with it!

• Thanks!
      It's been not too crowded in here. We receive much more comments and feedback on email than in here. Feedback and thoughts are very welcome from any source.

It looks that when someone is installed or is considering parachute installation they don't want to say it publicly. We have got feedback it's like that because of competitive gain they receive and they don't want say it publicly. It's better if competitors fly without parachute's as long as possible. Parachute is not even mentioned on website even it's clear after repeated deliveries to same companies that they are using parachutes.

This understandable. Aerial photography is tough game as there are so many competing players.
This reply was deleted.

Activity