EM 406 BINARY?!

Hello all!

I finally got around to buying the necessary parts to setup an autopilot configuration for a Ground Unmanned Vehicle.

Anyways, here's my issue, and I really need your help (my sanity depends on it).

I'm using the current ardupilot board, the current ardupliot code, and an em406 gps module.

I am NOT using a shield as it was unnecessary to purchase as I will not be in the air.

Well, my gps wont fix. The red LED on the gps module is solid, suggesting that I'm in not in binary mode, and I need to be in binary mode, right?

I've tried the sirf demo from the sparkfun website and I can't get the sirf demo to connect to the gps.
(this might be an issue because i use an ftdi cable into a ardupilot which is also connected to a gps, but they use the same serial port, but if i don't connect both the gps and ftdi port how can I change to binary protocol?)

I've also heard that the arduino code should change the gps module into binary automaticaly. I've run the code, and no, this is still not the case. (solid LED).

I'm |this| close to just..losing it :(

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Andrew, here are a couple things to keep in mind:

1) If you're using EM-406 (Sirf) then you need to set #define GPS_PROTOCOL 1 so the ArduPilot knows what language to speak.
    2) ANY time you upload your firmware to the ArduPilot you MUST unplug your GPS unit or you'll get those avrdude errors.
    3) I'm currently working on adding the Sirf protocol to the GPS Emulator (I just got my EM-406 in the mail today) so that may help you debug in the near future.
  • What are my log files? (sorry for the newbieness, I'm doing this as a pet project for my engineering profesor >.<, I've agrees to more than i bargained for!)

Well, my main problem is that now, after I use the config tool to configure my waypoints, I plug in my gps and the blue lock LED no longer blinks (the board isn't trying to look for a satellite now?) I do the configuration correctly. selected the correct com port, and initialized by hitting write first and I've selected the correct board.) is there anywhere that goes in depth on how to add the waypoints manually? bah! Thanks for the massive amounts of help, though. little by little bit...right? :D

I just need to configure the waypoints so I can do a test run!

oh, and my GPS_PROTOCOL is 1 as I'm using the em406 in binary mode. might this be the issue?

Here's what it said in the readme file:
    Please note, this project is part of Remzibi's OSD. There are some drivers and controls that are required to run the GPS Emulator.
    You must download and install the Remzibi OSD Configuration software first. http://remzibi.happykillmore.com

Changes that must be made to the ArduPilot Source to make the GPS Emulator work:

easystar.h
    ----------
    //1-7
    #define GPS_PROTOCOL 0

I know this is for the gps emulator, but the constraints may be the same for the config tool?
  • Alright, Chris, I've gotten it to work it was a problem with the FTDI cable but it is now fixed! BUT ANOTHER ISSUE. Darn, this process is just...painful.

Last thing. I get the "something is wrong" statement from the configuration tool, but after reading, it reads successfully, with the correct gps coordinates.

when i plug the gps in, that "stat" LED blinks rapidly.

NOW after I plug in the gps module (and nothing else, no servos, motors or motor controllers, radio in, etc) to test a gps lock, the gps lock LED no longer blinks. if I take the gps module out and just have the arduino board powered, the gps LED will blink. will the board not work without any hardware?

edit: and NOW the red LED on the gps module (em406) is now BRIGHT red. Perhaps the incorrect writing is overwriting the gps parser code?
  • okay, i got the gps to lock, haha. Sorry to be blowing up your e-mail accounts, but now my config tool wont write. Before I got the code working (or shall I say "binary" working), i was able to configure waypoints via config tool. Now, after I select my board and com port, I click write before I do anything. And it just stays on "writing data..." and by the way the gps LED is blinking.

The FTDI cable is the only thing plugged in (along with a 9v battery) and there is NO gps module plugged in while I am trying to configure the ardupilot.

More help? :D
  • well, i got the code to load up and the LED is dim now. I tried loading the code form different computers and the mode finally switched over. thanks for the great help guys, i'll probably need more debugging help soon :). gps seems like it's taking forever to lock..
  • Developer
    The 406 tester file contains the startup procedure that will make the 406 go into binary.

http://ardupilot.googlecode.com/files/EM406_tester.zip

The 406 will jump back to ascii at startup sometimes. So I put the binary mode function at Ardupilot startup.
    Jason
  • 3D Robotics
    It won't switch into binary unless you go through the startup procedure. Either:

1) If you've soldered on the two wires on the bottom and have RC signals plugged into Channels 1-3 and Mode

or

2) You're using the bind plug
  • I just want it to change the em406 to binary. Any thoughts?
This reply was deleted.

Activity