T3

Failed to Talk to Bootloader

Hi All,

I finally got a separate 12V battery and powered my OSD and fixed my 3DR telemetry cable setup, but when I try to talk to OSD I get a "Failed to talk to bootloader" I have solid red light on the OSD and my 3DR telemetry works fine.  If I try to load firmware or click the Read From OSD button I get the failed to talk to bootloader message.  Anyone know what might be my problem?

I'm using ArduCAM OSD Config 2.1.2.0 software.

Thanks,
Richard

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I finally figured out that my main issues were with my FTDI cable. Its a cheap one from China with an embedded fake FTDI chip.

It seems the FTDI folk are tired cheap cloned chips, so they have been making slight changes to their drivers over the years, causing issues with fake chips.

In December 2014, they started bricking cloned chips; this is when all my Minim OSD's stopped working. I thought all my OSD were bricked.....until I purchased a real FTDI cable from sparkfun.com. Everything now works great! ....after about 2 years of aggravation!
  • My Pixhawk works as advertised with the  OSD.

Is it possible to talk to the OSD through the Pixhawk? (It isn't easy getting my OSD out of the copter)

I added the OSD's RX and TX signals from/to the Pixhawk. 

Since Michael Osborn created both OSD and MP, is there a Mission-Planner setup for the OSD?

The latest MP 1.3.10 has a OSD under Initial setup>Optional Hardware>OSD> "Only use this if you are having an issue of your OSD not updating"

PS: Some relevant links ...

Setting APM to communicate with MinimOSD-Extra: https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/APM

• I had the same problem and found it to be the FTDI driver for Windows.  I installed an older unsupported version of the driver, then everthing worked!

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

• Leaving this here for posterity.

At the suggestion of one of the guys on an RCG thread tracking this issue, I rigged up a 6 wire connector (in place of a 4 pin connector) to the MinimOSD which added I believe a RST signal to the mix.

I no longer have to press the reset button nor am I getting the "Failed to talk to Bootloader" error message.

• I have 2 of the v0.1 versions of this board.

5v power pad is soldered

NTSC mode

Sparkfun FTDI breakout board

Running MinimOSD-extra - pre-release candidate r462 along withe correct config tool.

Both work just fine - but I do get the "Failed to talk to Bootloader" on the 2nd one.  I can read from the board and I can write to the board but it takes pressing the RESET button on the board just moments before you click "Save current tab to" from the config tool.

Same deal with uploading firmware or charactersets.  You have like a 2 second window to press reset then select the file to upload.

I power the boards from the 5v side, so only video and ground go into the pins on the right side.  I'm not sure what the firmware update did to upset the bootloader but it'll be interesting to investigate further.

• I was having the same problem as OP and tried this. I can confirm this solved my problem! Thanks

• I have three of the MinimOSD and they are all bricked. One of them as the 'Failed to talk to bootloader' problem the other two simply have a black screen. I suspect that powering both sides independently (5V from the APM and 11.1V from the battery) bricked the two with the black screens. Then I purchased, yet again, a new one and after 1 succesful flight, I'm getting the 'Failed to talk to bootloader' and have been unable to resolve that issue.

My conclusion is that the MinimOSD is very finicky and prone to power issues. My first version (prior to version 1.1) worked the longest.

If anyone is interested to try to fix these three MinimOSD's, then I'm happy to ship them to you, as long as I get at least one working back (if you get them to work).

• Hi Richard 

This might help with your bootloader issue, you may need to reflash your bootloader 

https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/issues/detail?id=28

• T3

While I had my 850mAh 3S 11.1V battery plugged in testing, I noticed that the Lawmate 1.2 antenna was extremely hot.  I mean melt your finger hot.  Is this normal?

This reply was deleted.

Activity