Developer

figuring out the Antenna Tracker

3691139590?profile=originalNot many people know but we have an piece of open source software for controlling an Antenna Tracker.  It's been built by Tridge (Arduplane lead developer) for use in the outback challenge.

Sadly we have no documentation and, as far as I know, nobody except Tridge has used it.  Still given Tridge's track record on building great software I suspect it works well and if it doesn't, I'm sure we can fix it.  So to not let this piece of code go to waste, I'd like some help from people who are interested to give it a try and help me figure out how it works.

Here's the little that I know:

• It runs on any of our supported board (APM1, APM2, PX4, Pixhawk, Flymaple and perhaps VRBrain)
  • For APM1/APM2 users building the code is as easy as opening our hacked ArduinoIDE and selecting File > SketchBook > Tools > AntennaTracker and then building in the normal way.  For PX4/Pixhawk, our autobuilder doesn't automatically build a binary but I can provide one if people are interested.
  • It can control a Pan and Tilt gimbal like this or this found on servocity.com.
  • It may or may not require a GPS
  • It must somehow receive vehicle position updates from the ground station which has the telemetry radio that is connected to the vehicle. Maybe through a USB cable.  Tridge probably uses the python ground station, MAVProxy, to passthrough the vehicle position data to the AT but perhaps we can get MichaelO to build out a similar feature in Mission Planner.
  • I imagine this antenna tracker could also be used to keep a camera focused on the vehicle which might be good for easing the burden on creating videos of our vehicles.

So if you want to give it a try please do and stick any findings, questions or issues below. Alternatively Issues can go into the issues list.

I'll start sticking things into the wiki as they become clear.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another part to mention:

It seems that on/off servos are allways driven on their full speed. So it makes sense to set your servos "min / max" values lower than they could be. By this you get slower but smoother movings.

• Issue #799 "Antenna Tracker Extended Tuning: Remove Proxy Mode drop-down" seems to be fixed in current Mission Planner 1.3.20!

• That's good news. Know if I can only figure out the pitch problem
    • Nice write up. I think it will hp a lot of folks trying to get theirs up and running. I'm still having trouble getting pitch to work. I will try your hex tomorrow to see if the is any improvement. Wish me luck.
      • At least you should be able to move your pitch servo with the "test slider"... (I hope so..)

I've seen you are using "normal" servos in your setup...

Have you taken a look at the status values "ch1_out" (yaw) and "ch2_out" (pitch)? They show you which pwm value gets send to the servos. If ch2_out stays in your configured middle position than it might be a bug.

I just can say that both axis work with on/off servos.

Good luck

• You got the trim and test button working. Nice job. Did nothing for my pitch issues though. I don't know what else to do anymore. I'm giving up for now.
          • Yep, as I said: the trim/test button part is the only thing that I've changed. What's up with your ch2_out value? Does it change?

Maybe I'm gonna try some "position" servos on my setup this weekend. Perhaps I can reproduce your Problem.

• Today I´ve tried the AT V0.4.
    The Telemety2 is now working. The data from the Copter through the AT are a little bit slow (SR1_Extra1 is set to 10Hz).
    The AT itself still is not working.
    If I arm the AT in Auto the Servos are very nervous with the AT is looking in one direction. If I move the Copter in a circle of 20m around, the AT stays in the same Position. When I´m playing with the PID values there are no changes, even when i set the Values from the PID to zero.

Is it correct that the red Heading-Line stays always in the North direction?

• Unable to view your files.  Receiving a message "File not Found".  Hmmm....

• mmhhhh??

Thanks for the advice!
        Here the Files in a Container, I hope that works. Please advice me, if not.

Doug BTW: Is your AT working and following the Vehicle? 

This reply was deleted.

Activity