Flight time vs. battery life

Does anyone know the correlation between hovering time, flight time, and battery life on a copter? How much of the battery will be used just to hover and how much is used to to fly over a distance?

Thank you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Craig,

This looks awesome, one of the highest payloads I've seen so far. I think this is something we would like to use somewhere in the future for sure... just for testing purposes though I think they want to spend a bit less than that. Thanks again!

Kate

• Hi Kate at one time I had a "Start Here" page on the DIYDrones Wiki, but it has been removed by those in charge because it doesn't fit with their view that it needs to only pertain to APM or Pixhawk.

If you are actually new to this and need to learn how to fly a multicopter I strongly urge you to take a look at the page I have reconstructed on my own web site at Drones Are Fun .Com

If you heed the advice there I guarantee you it will save you a lot of time and money.

And it even includes actual flight instruction.

http://www.dronesarefun.com/ADroneOfYourOwn.html

I didn't know that 3DR and the person now in charge of the copter wiki section had removed it until I just looked for it to give you a link to it.

I am saddened by the fact that they have done this and am sure it represents a material loss to the DIYDrones community.

It does however make me very glad I left when I did.

Best Regards,

Gary

• Gary,

That's unfortunate that it was removed :( This sounds very helpful and I'm looking into it right now! Thank you so much, I need all the help I can get!

• That site is awesome! 

My intro was from a different crowd: The: "Learn Acro First" or "We don't need no stinking leveling" people.

I suppose they thought they were being funny. I almost threw in the towel before I found a micro quad and learned how quads were meant to be flown.  

• Maybe this is of your interest:
    http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/quadropter-flight-time-1
    • Will definitely look into this, thanks!!

• MR60

Your question does not have an answer as "flight time" is not fully defined by intrinsic copter parameters (incl battery, weight, motor and ESC efficiency,...)

Only hover time can be precisely computed, assuming however no external forces. For that you can use the ecalc link others have already posted here.

• I see... I guess I can just typically assume the "flight time" to be shorter than the calculated hover time. Thank you!

• Hi Kate.

Hovering, especially in calm air, draws the least amount of current. Consequently, battery life decreases proportionally as maneuvers become more complex and aggressive. A copter/battery combo rated for say, 15 minutes of hovering may only yield about 5 minutes of aggressive flying.

If you haven't discovered eCalc yet it's an invaluable tool and can accurately predict expected battery life based on your machine's configuration and flying characteristics:

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php?ecalc&lang=en

Cheers!

• Crady,

Makes sense. I'm going to try to get better with this tool. Thank you!!

Kate

This reply was deleted.

Activity