Gas Hybrid Quad Rotor UAV?

While trying to think of a way to increase the payload capacity, size and flight time of a quad rotor aircraft I had an idea, which may or may not be novel and was wondering if anyone else has entertained it.

Could a combustion engine powered auxiliary power unit (APU) be installed on a quad rotor aircraft that is light and powerful enough to maintain a charge of the main battery that is used to power the motors and avionics?  In other words, could a small engine powering a generator keep up with the electrical demands of the aircraft that would have to carry it and the fuel?  

Here is a link to a company that produces generators for conventional RC aircraft:

Food for thought at least.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The simplicity of a battery and 4 motors is really the key to making a quadcopter cheap and easy.

Most of the demand is steady state. There is no coasting. You would have to build a generator that would supply primary power AND additional to charge the batteries. The battery would provide additional power when climbing.

Someone here is working on a variable pitch quad rotor driven by a single gas engine. That is a better solution than the extreme complexity of a engine and generator and batteries and motor and electronics to make it all work. Even that is a complex scheme.

It just proves there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    http://scheme.It/
  • I think that I have heard about people putting a brushless motor on their IC powered helicopters and have a inverter that charges their batteries in-flight.

I remember that on a picture in Model Helicopter World, it pointed out that a Jet powered helicopter had a generator mounted.

Well just go and search, I have no clue to the power needed and if it is efficient with regards to the added weight.
This reply was deleted.

Activity