GroundStation_beta2 - Printing to an external file.

Hey,

I'm are having a bit of a problem trying to get the GPS and Airspeed data to write to an external file.

Currently, we have it so that creates and starts writing to a file, however the information does not append. Only 1 line of data (Just the airspeed) is visible and it re-writes over itself.

I'm not a labview guy (never used it before) and went through the help manuals, but can't get it to work.

Attached are screenshots of our labview.

Thanks,
John

Doc1.doc

Doc2.doc

Doc3.doc

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Have you tried to capture the serial data stream using "terminal"? It works for me.

Once I've got this captured, it's not too difficult to translate it into an Excel spreadsheet with Lat, Lon, Alt data.

The .CSV format makes it easy to import to "GPS Visualizer" or just graph your [Alt] data

test flight 1 bearspaw school.TXT

field test June 6 2010 b GPS raw.csv

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692051023?profile=original
  • Hi John,
    glad that you got GCS working.
    - GCS just records the time stamp when it gets data
    - Same goes for GPS data - GCS does not have control how often it receives GPS data - when it receives it, it will display it and record it. ArduPilot board, (the one that is on the plane/UAV) determines when, and how often, to send any data, and GCS just displays it and records it. It usually 4 attitude data sets per one navigational data set..
    -log file is not designed with any data base application in mind, but rather it's generic tab deliminated file so that it can be easily opened with any text editor and manipulated/re-arranged to suite everyone needs. It's an open source project so it's easily customizable to suite anyone's specific needs if they have any
    -You are welcome for the hint. Good luck with the project
  • Got it working with the new GCS.

My opinion is that the new GCS is very nice; Much nicer than the previous one. Also, it automatically aquires and records the important flight data. My only suggestion would be to get the format of the recorded data a bit cleaner, as it is hard to analyze the data in any database. This is due to the fact that the time between aquisition points is not constant. Also, there are large gaps between the gps points. This means that to physically read the data, many hours of manual time, or some programming must be completed.

Thanks,
    John
  • John,
    so you are trying to modify functionality of the GCS to suite your needs - is that right?

-With current data files, you can use file called "DataLog....txt" to plot time vs. parameters you want since it records time stamp as well.

P.S you are using old/original GCS. New one is here:
    http://code.google.com/p/ardupilotgcs/source/browse/#svn/trunk

-You can open kml files in notepad, since it's just a text file - I do it routinely without Win OS giving problems ( sounds you had a problem specific to your machine or something you did for Win OS to associate bunch of file extensions files with notepad...)

- What you are doing sounds like a school assignment.....(Do you use ArduPilot and GCS in school project? - tell us more about it )You say "...However, the data does not append; It overwrites...". Hint: look at the vi that saves data to a file, there is a boolean control (T/F) that sets how data is saved...

If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll help you out
  • Chris,

I'm trying to write to a file called "data.txt"

After a successful test, data.txt would look similar to this:

lat:34,long:90,alt:200,
    as:10,
    lat:35,long:91,alt:500,
    as:20,
    lat:34,long:90,alt:200,
    as:10
    etc.....

The above data would be streamed to a file ("data.txt") at a baud rate (9600 for us I believe), and each line so to speak would display the gps data, a line break, and then the airspeed data. This information would repeat until we closed the ground station.

From there I can get an all important altitude versus time plot. (Graphically will display our test)
    I will also be able to import the data into any modern database analyzer (minitab probably) and do what I please.

So, currently we are creating the file ("data.txt"), and it is writing one line of code (airspeed). However, the data does not append; It overwrites. Our instructor has told us that we can manipulate the ground station in labview to achieve what we are looking for. However, he's away with his family at the moment.

PS: I tried to open flight.kml in notepad (don't know what .kml is, only .xml) and it destroyed our explorer.exe file for our windows 7 os. All the .exe icons changed to reflect the notepad icon, and when you went to open them, even my computer, it would only open notepad. Had to delete explorer.exe from his system and copy one over from a clean os.

Thanks,
    John
  • 3D Robotics
    I'm a little unclear about the problem. The GCS as it is writes datalog files fine (one example is attached). Are you trying to modify it to do something else?

APflight_2010_05_30_21_43_25.kml

This reply was deleted.

Activity