I'm a newcomer to this awesome world and I'm facing a simple issue (at least I hope so) with taking off.
I'm rebuilding this hexacopter which I got from an university colleague, it's not new and so I assume lots of parameters have been changed.
I checked the hardware, installed the last working firmware (I'm using an APM 2.5) and I went through the calibration procedure. As additional part, I installed the battery module. So far so good. I can read the parameters in Mission Planner and they make sense.
Then, I tried to fly. ESC are calibrated, the copter is levelled, the remote is connected, the Lipo is full charged. If I arm the motors, they run as configured but when I rise the throttle just a little bit they autonomously increase. Moreover, the speed is not the maximum available but at a "lift-up" point at which the drone is still on the ground but if I roll and pitch together, it does jump 20-30 cm. If I try to increase the throttle, it simply stays at that level without any change. It seems as a loop is cutting the power or a parameter is not set correctly.
I'm using 9-inch 3-leaf props with 11,1 V - 2.600 mAh LiPo Battery and a whole weight under 1.6kg, the motors are AC2836-358 880Kv. I run a motor test and they spin correctly and in the right sequence. The props orientation is correct as well as the copter configuration (X). I tried to take off in stabilized mode and all is looking good in the logs. Looking at the voltage from the battery monitor and comparing with a multimeter, voltage and ampere look okay. The only problem I've seen in Mission Planner is about the Terminal: when I connect the board in the Terminal, it gives errors and I can stop it only closing MP with Windows Task Manager.
It's such a shame I can't make it fly. I've been repairing it in the last few months and I've so many projects to do with it.
Thank you guys in advance for your help!