Hexacopter flips with no apparent reason

Hi all,

I know that this is a very recurrent question and I apologise for any redundancy.

I assembled recently a Tarot T960 frame, T-Motor MT3514 400 (X6), T-Motor ESC 40a (X6), emax 6 axis power board, Pixhawk, 3DR GPS module(X2), 3DR telemetry radio, RC Taranis X9E and receiver X6R.

I managed to get it airborne during first trial, but unfortunately, one of my props was not tight enough and came off in the middle of a flight. The hexa landed with the arm missing the prop, which obviously broke. It also inutilise one of the land gear arms.

After getting the spares and assembly the hexa again, it doesn't want to fly. Instead, it flips as the video shows.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Yes, props are all spinning correctly, motors seem to have the same speed, no weird noises, frame set to X shape, etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iZNL5M2cKIU2dxN0FqMHNZZ28/view?usp=sharing

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is this the first copter you are building? If so I would say that a 1m diameter 16inch prop beast is a bit ambitious for a first build. Why not try a small 250 or 300mm 'mini' quad or hex as first project to learn how these things work.

• Hi Tobias,

Yes, it is true that I made a 'big' mistake building such monster as my first project.

The thing is that the drone is a secondary thing, my project is a multispectral camera and I needed some good payload.

• he has done that already...its oscillating... I have held the quad many times.. no issues. Flying a quad/hex that flips in front of your face is more dangerous than holding it. Whats going to happen ? Rip your arm off ? 

• What could possibly go wrong with 6 razor sharp carbon fibre blades spinning at many thousand rpms inches from your eyes and major arteries?  If you're auditioning for a darwin award this is a great idea :)

• To be fair, this is exactly what I've just seen the wiki tells newbie pilots to do:

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/ac_tipsfornewpilots/

I'm absolutely staggered by this, it seems the absolute height of irresponsible advice.  To tell newbie pilots who aren't sure what they're doing, with a copter that is behaving erractically or unpredictably to hold it while hitting the throttle..  I cannot believe this is in the wiki!

• T3

I have done this.  I'd only recommend it for smaller vehicles, Arnoldo's is too big.  It's a pretty good method to check if your roll pitch and yaw respond correctly in stabilize.  But don't accidentally bump the throttle, or you'll probably break your vehicle and maybe cut yourself.

• fnoop dog get out of here.. insulting others " thats a horrible idea blah blah", then not giving any reasonable advice is just TROLLING !!

His motors are not flat.. exactly what i suggested earlier..

• who said gun the throttle ?? You just dont get it. Instead of going after my advice which was correct from beginning. Work on working with people.

• Oh yes I remember who you are now, you got on your high horse the last time I tried to offer some advice you didn't agree with..

So let me get this straight, someone who is clearly novice with this platform comes in with a malfunctioning/flipping *meter size* UAV with 6 *16"* carbon-fibre props, you advise them to hold it above their head and gun the throttle, and when I dare to suggest this is a bad idea (which it is), I'm a troll?  Oki doki.

I have offered him reasonable advice.  Whether or not it's correct, at least I'm trying..

• Hold the copter firmly in your hand and level in the air and with the props clear of your body, advance the throttle a bit to get a feel for what’s going on.

This has helped me many times to quickly and directly obtain an answer to the problem. The recommendation has been included in the manual for many years. Previously, it has also stood "over your head".

If you have come so far that you have managed to build you own drone, managed hand saw, drill, soldering iron (and perhaps a knife and fork?) Then this is not a problem. Your life is your own responsibility. All activities in your life can potentially kill you if you do not have judgment and knowledge. Can you ride a bike?

This reply was deleted.

Activity