HobbyKing?

Hi,

Has anyone had an bad experiences with HobbyKing?  I went through the motions of purchasing a RC txn and rxn from them and realised I had the wrong item in my order.  I contacted them to cancel immediatly after reecieving the confirmation and was ignored - up until the point the item shipped.  I was then told I could return it - but at my own cost.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues dealing with them?

Thanks
Tonino

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

I've noticed that the "From" is always someone with my last name and that the packages are always labeled as a gift. These gifts sure are costing me a pretty penny! LOL!
  • I just received my first order from Hobby King today. I didn't have much time to look through it but I did check to make sure everything was there. One thing I noticed was that the invoice was split into 4 pages... each had all of the items listed but the cost was split by 4 on each. Shipping was also divided by 4 and listed. I have never seen this I will probably look into it a little further. Tracking on the order wasn't very detailed, which bugged me a little.

This is also the first time I have ordered anything from Singapore. I'm curious as to what other people were paying for their shipping.

If everything checks out I would say I am mostly pleased with the process.

Sebastian
  • I only buy from them for there LiPo's. Great feedback on them.

I ordered a 6S 5000mah for $47, and one cell was bad. I cut it off for a 5S, and still use it. I will still probably order another, since LiPo's for larger models are just too expensive anywhere else.
  • In fairness: I've NEVER been successful in canceling an order over the phone with ANY online merchant.
  • Very limited personal experiences .... but I've read enough on the net over my time searching for a high wattage electric motor to learn 2 things:

- that a lot of folk have very serious issues with the quality of electric motors that are sold under the Hobby King brand name - in partiuclar with the quality of bearings and the quality of motor windings, with folk reporting how, on rewinding Hobby King branded motors have substantialy reduced losses and/or increased power outputs for the same volt/amp input.

My single personal experience with a Hobby King motor: the copper wire used was very poor quality, and the winding was equally poor quality - both equally unsuitable to the 2Kw plus usage the product was marketed for use in.

- that there is a disproportionate amount of feedback regards the quality of ESC's - many folk complaining that the ESC they purchased for a particular application burnt out.

For what its worth I note that Hobby King prices (per watt) for a lot of its hardware is lot lot lower than comparable European/Western made products.

Far Eastern branded and manufactured products can certainly offer value for money in many cases (cheaper labour, material and manufacturing costs (to mention just a few of the reasons why Far Eastern branded products can be competitively manufactured) but if I am not mistaken Hobby King is a brand name primarily - not a manufacturer i.e. HK sources products made by 3rd parties to which the HK brand name is then attached. Hence HK has limited, to no control over QC.

The words "you get what you pay for" come to mind with a lot of Hobby King products .........

Thats my personal 2cents worth regards HK - by means feel free to disagree.
  • well - to make matters even worse - they are not going to refund me the full price - only 90% and then only store credit. Apparently their site now says that you should not use email - but rather call or use their "not really working" live contact chat system

I have opened a dispute case with paypal to get them to interviene... lets hope that its worth it.

I will _NEVER_ buy from them again... just plain poor customer service.
  • I'm also stopping buying from HK. I received the transmitter after being in back oder and after almost 2 months from initial order date without the module and receiver and took a month to they say that they would send the missing items.
    Before I'd to take picture of all the items that arrive in a kitchen scale and they said something about contact the warehouse manager - the WM answer cost me 3 weeks or so of daily calls. Now I'm still waiting. I think that the whole process will take 4 months now.
    I think that I'll order one DX8 when here in US they start to have in stock.
  • I had the same problem, but only with HobbyPartz.com. Tried to cancel my order 1 hr after being placed, they emailed me 24 hrs later (2 hrs after it shipped) and told me its already shipped and I should have called to cancel it.

Never had to cancel a order with Hobby King, YET....
    Guess I know what to expect if I do.......
This reply was deleted.

Activity