Hobbyking OSD - GPS Sirf GPS2e LP-7451 chipset

Hi,I have just recovered an older GPS module from my Bixler prior to an APM2.5 upgrade. The GPS still works and locks so I am thinking - a spare GPS, why not?The GPS is based on a discrete Sirf GPS2e LP-7450 chipset, which I think defaults to 9600 baud NMEA. Availble pins are Vcc and Gnd (5v), TXA, RXA, TXB, RXB, and Boot. Reading a data sheet indicates that it can be changed to Sirf binary output. I am guessing it is TTL logic compatable.So the questions are: Is Sirf binary compatable with APM? I have heard of Sirfdemo, can I use it to setup the GPS? Or is there another way?It looks like the module was originally intended for a GPS mouse, since the PCB is round. The GPS is ex cheapo HK OSD, which doesn't OSD anymore.I am aware that this is relatively old tech but it seems a shame to waste it if it can be used.Grateful for any assistance.RegardsAlan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• From what I've heard you'd be better off with the MTEK or UBLOX than the old Sirf units. Tech has moved on considerably and for this sort of thing you need the best of the bunch. I wouldn't risk it.

• Hi,

Sirf GSP2e LP-7451 chipset. Dyslexia rules K.O.

Regards

Alan
This reply was deleted.

Activity