Hydrographic surveying

Hi.

Is there anyone out there who can recommend the appropriate drone & camera/surveying set-up to enable me to survey the bottom of lakes, ponds, rivers & marinas from the air rather than using sonar dragged by a boat?

Much as 3D mapping works above ground to calculate the size of an area, height of hillside etc. I want to do the same underwater.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards

Paddy

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok thanks for your help Luke.

• Hi Paddy.

Bodies of water do not do well with photogrammetry. There are no tie points on the surface of water for the model to photogrammetrically render itself. Try a test over a pool of water and you will find Mount Everest suddenly appears!

In saying this, you can get a DTM in very low (>20cm deep) very clear and static water. But it is not very accurate.

• No way to do this with camera only. There is a possibility from airborne laser for shallow water, but this thing is so heavy for a drone, I only heard of real plane doing that. Echo sounder is still the only way to go.

I do drone mapping and also bathymetric survey with multi-beam echo sounder and the typical gap is 0 to 2-3 meter depth where it is too shallow for the boat, and not visible from the sky.

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…