I'm cursed

I want to fly drones, so I bought the iris. It didn't listen half the time and has crashed so much it looks like an IED hit it. I thought I'd learned so I bought a y6 diy kit. It just fell out of the sky with the walkera g 3d gimbal and smashed itself to pieces.Is this typical for new rc pilots or am I just not ment for this?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i would take youup on your offer.... (I live near Los Angeles), pasadena area...

Ive been struggling thru this hobby for about 6 months, but cant get time with other pilots as I am unable to drive.  I can get use the bus and train but carrying my quads on those metro lines is tuff...

I live in an apt building with little to no room to practice.. although, I would think that if I do succeed here, Iwill be a great pilot.

if you are interested, let me know when you will be around....thanks

• Blade Nano QX. I've flown mine EVERYWHERE. I've always got it with me in my truck. If I've got a few minutes to spare, I fly.
        In an RV, many hotel rooms, on a train.
        In your apartment shouldn't be too hard. If you break something and get sent to your room...you can fly in there too.
        Chris
  • Andrew,  If you are doing all this on your own-then yes it's pretty typical for most.   I have been flying R./C since the late 60's and the first two years back then were spend mostly fixing and rebuilding. Todays' gear is unbelievably great and works well, but flying is a skill that has to be learned. Get things patched up and try to get one or two flights a day in. Learn to fly in stabilize, learn to hover and fly a circle nose-in, and in all different orientations, go slow, stay close in at first, them further away from yourself. Don't push it. Crawl before you run.

It has been 2 years since I started with a multicopter and the first summer was almost like I never flew anything before!  Orientation was difficult for me to sort out on a quad. So was learning to use the throttle constantly.  I still am not as comfortable with a multi copter as I am with a fixed wing craft.  If there is a hobby shop or model flying field around- get  there.   Every club I have been in spends a lot of time helping beginners.  It's how most of learned to fly R/C when it was more a DIY hobby than sport with everything a credit card away.  It was a lot harder before the internet to get advice, now it's almost too easy to get advice, sometimes too much advice is out there, and often it's the "blind leading the blind" which makes its even more difficult to figure out things. Besides; contrary to popular opinion " Life ain't easy son" You have to learn to deal with setbacks and not let things drag you down if you want to succeed- at anything.

I got one of the small - sub $100 indoor 'toy" quads that I played with for a long time to help get the feel of things before I started with my 3DR quad.

If you already spent the money and time to get a second machine, then great, you probably have the drive and desire to figure this all out.  Stick with it, don't try to fly like "cool" dudes in the videos you see on You Tube, be SAFE and courteous and you  may find a lifelong hobby that you can then share with others.

Good luck and hang in there.

Joe

• Good advice all around.  Don't worry about attaching a gimbal or camera until you have the thing pretty well figured out, or unless your wallet can accomodate a desire to get lots of great crash footage.

Learn about battery voltages (i.e. how low a voltage is dangerous), and pay attention to things like HDOP values.  

I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but your IRIS probably listened to exactly what you told it to do and did the best under the circumstances it was put in.  No, they aren't perfect, but most drone setups out there, like most machines and computers, are pretty obedient, even when we wish they would figure stuff out on their own.  

Stick with it.  It takes some reading, some asking, and a lot of small steps to build proficiency over time.  Don't try to impress anyone quite yet; not even yourself.  Know what you would do if it started acting up (i.e. how to get to RTL, or loiter mode should always be on your mind).  

This reply was deleted.

Activity