I want to create my own drone.

Hello everyone. I'm quite new to the drone community, and I have zero experience with drone engineering. However, I've had this idea/desire of creating my own unique drone for quite some time to the point I could no longer ignore it. I know how I want the drone designed as far as its appearance,function, and purpose, but I am clueless on where to start. I'm posting this discussion in hopes for any advice or knowledge that would be beneficial. Feel free to inbox or email. Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What do you guys consider the best set of components for a DIY drone? I'm looking into getting one myself, but the variety of parts that I can go with is huge.

• I have a lot of experience building single rotor drones. In my experience (extensive) they are by far the most difficult drones to build. Single copters are essentially inverted pendulums, and are thus very non linear in terms of control and require lots of tuning to get right. Cg positioning and vane design are absolutely crucial to the flight performance of the system. 

Once they have been properly designed and tuned they are absolutely amazing machines. Keep in mind they are quite difficult to fabricate too, and require stator, duct and vane box assembly's. 

I would start with a quadcopter, but if you are ambitious and want to build a single copter I would be more than happy to help, just be aware that it will be tough to do! 

Feel free to PM me

Duane Emerson said:

True there are lots of drones, but there are none available like the one I'm going to create. I'm motivated because this particular drone would've helped me in the past, and now I wish to create it to help those with the same problem.

Tom said:

Drones used to take hours of practice to master as even the simplest manoeuvres, such as takeoff and landing, could prove difficult. Why create drone?

Now that there's a good selection programmed drones on the market, i can go into major  retailers and buy one directly off the shelf. Or i founde article jonsguide... And chosinge best model...

• True there are lots of drones, but there are none available like the one I'm going to create. I'm motivated because this particular drone would've helped me in the past, and now I wish to create it to help those with the same problem.

Tom said:

Drones used to take hours of practice to master as even the simplest manoeuvres, such as takeoff and landing, could prove difficult. Why create drone?

Now that there's a good selection programmed drones on the market, i can go into major  retailers and buy one directly off the shelf. Or i founde article jonsguide... And chosinge best model...

• Drones used to take hours of practice to master as even the simplest manoeuvres, such as takeoff and landing, could prove difficult. Why create drone?

Top 10 Best Mini Quadcopter Choices — Greatest Reviews for You (2019)
    Mini quadcopter reviews will help you to make the best choice in 2019. There is much information out there on nano drones.
  • That's awesome! Very nice work!!

Winston S. Aquino Zabala said:

Others Parts.

• My apologies . . . I was referring to those with one central propellor

Jerry Giant said:

what is single copter?  dual propeller with vector vane guide? have no experience with that. 

• Others Parts.

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

• Hello Duane, since the year 2013 I am developing my own framework to adapt the flight controller "Pixhawk" and a System On Chip, with the goal of creating a custom drone for use in defense operations, has been a long road for me, because I had to design all parts. These projects are too complex for a single person as it is required to have knowledge in 3D design and CNC Machined mainly.

Here some pictures of the project.
    Note: Some Parties are inspired in the 3DR alone but are not exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2-qJh8EK68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7KI5ILGFX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maZ6VjLst3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTK_teGWcds

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

YouTube
  • what is single copter?  dual propeller with vector vane guide? have no experience with that. 

• How do you guys feel about single copter drones? Haven't done any research yet, but as of now that's the direction I would like to go.
This reply was deleted.

Activity