IMU V2 to Ardupilot communication problem....

Hi Guys,

Have a bit of a problem which i dont think fits in either 2.6 or IMU.....(please correct if wrong)

Ok...we have the IMU V2 coded with v1.7, set for NMEA (using a locsys gps), setup to speak this new fangled emu language:).....

Sorted the IMU, hooked up to HK`s superb little widget. The cube, adn all the readings are obaying my every whim, fancy and command...so far so good...

Do a ground start, calibrates....a few sec later the GPS lock is on, excellent...

OK...being out of the loop for a while, when world was full of thermopiles and check systems, got a loose grasp on the IMU config.

So ,.

Coded one of my AP`s with 2.6, shield V2 still attached, did the D13 pin, extra hook up for throttle control, set GPS to IMU in .h., made the IMU to AP links as per manual...

link D6 to IMU

ok, made a heath robinson, data out to FTDI so i can read what is coming out of teh AP (to teh GCS in effect)

Fired it all up....

AP cycles through setup...ok

IMU cycles, calibrates, locks...

AP, bluelight still flashing....

If i read the data coming out of IMU, all is as it should be all angles, GPs etc........then switch to Binary (re-load file in IMU) for AP garbled, as expected

check data from AP to GCS......no Roll, Pitch, Yaw Data, also it says No GPS for 10secs....

Obvioulsy set the RC to ch5 sw down = man, mid=-stab, up=FBW

So with aircraft nailed to AP, all controls are working on the switch as expected, but pos 1 and 2 , just make the ails go hard left...ok...not too suprising considering that there is no discernable data from IMU to AP....

tried radiosetings on and off...I.e sticks to set throws...

To me....it looks like the AP is ignoring the IMU, been around the wiring....then tried another AP board & Shield just incase i was being a muppet and had fried summet....

The real bugger is i cant show any pics of data or setup, as its at work..(internet is horsedrawn with dial up there)...

I have RTFM`ed....MANY times..

can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance...

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem. However, it goes away when I remove the shield. Some details:

I am currently with the Blue Shield and uBlox. The IMU tested out fine and GPS is getting lock in a flash when directly connected to the AP with 2.6.

However when connected together, the IMU shows solid blue, but AP (shield) refused to acknowledge lock even after a couple of hours. I also tried with one more AP and one Red shield that I have.

I disconnected the Shield and the GPS lock is immediate and everything is working fine.

Will be happy to try anything else and share findings. I have been consistently having problems with the shield and GPS lock and have been unable to get to the bottom and would appreciate any suggestions.
  • Hi Mike,

Can you post a sample of your binary IMU output?
  • Hi Mike
    After doing the process you described I have the same problem with IMU Ver 1. Today I received the IMU Ver 2 but its not hooked up yet.

Cheers Christof
  • Admin
    Dr Mike,

If you are using the FTDI cable to monitor the AP, unhook it and see if the AP will receive data from the IMU by going through the initialization sequence and ending with the correct LED pattern.

Just a thought.

Regards,
    TCIII
This reply was deleted.

Activity