INAVerr- Is it the GPS or FC or neither?

Should I expect a crash at some point?

Nervously I took the Spy 750 Y6 up for the first time in over 3 weeks (had a warm spell of 25F today).

In stab it flies great, then switching to poshold it seemed fine, but did the twitchy thing again for a few seconds here and there, then seemed to smooth out (subjective). I brought it down and hovered nearby where it stayed rock steady for a minute or so and landed.

So, what does it mean when INAVerr goes to 255 and stays there? From what I understand it is the FC not receiving data from the GPS properly. Apparently this copter has done it from day one since transplanting the PIxhawk and running on AC3.2 and 3.2.1, with the 3DR GPS and the current CSGShop Neo-M8N. These errors did not exist on the Y6B with 3.1.5 and the 3DR GPS.

Any help is appreciated.

bxCuDK8.png

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am completely with you in bringing this matter to the fore....when the lead copter dev says that this is a real problem then it has to be serious (ish)...I am really nervous that this may lead to a trashed copter...

It is a bit frustrating though that this issue has not attracted the attention of the wider dev community...

• I tried to upload the log the first time around...I am attaching the zip file here

• I found I have the same problem! Running a Pixhawk with 3.2 and a CSGShip Neo-M8N GPS. In all my logs, INAVErr climbs to 255, sometimes very quickly, sometimes in steps. I checked for correlation with any other parameters but haven't been able to find any. Note that I haven't seen any in-flight "twitches" though.

How fast does it climb to 255 for you? In most of my logs it seems to reach 255 in a few minutes but I found one log where it only climbed to ~60 in in a time span of several minutes. It could be that my problem is not as severe as yours (and I don't notice any twiches as a result).

I definitely have the feeling it's not the Pixhawk HW but somehow related to the M8N GPS. It's well possible there are many out there who simply do not realize that their PM is reporting INAVErr errors...

• I use the same GPS, but have not associated any twitchy stabilization with GPS:/

I just looked for inaverr, and could not find it in either log.

Could you advise me on how to locate it, and I will let you know the results.

I have numerous Ardupilots flying, some with M8N, some not.

• It's under PM (Power Management)

poVXtUa.png

• OK, well I looked in the .log I have available from my crash, and INAVErr was straightline 0.0.  That may have been, Im pretty sure it was before I upgraded to a M8N.

Browsing more current logs, it seems to get errors most all the time.  Sometimes it goes up to 255, ramping up in a curving, increasing count.  Less often, it will ramp up to a number, like 7 and stop.

My guess is all M8N ...wait mine is from DroTek.....is that the same as CSGShip/op?  I thought I remembered that name.....????

Anyway, 2 of mine are doing that.  I have 2 more I have not checked, and one uninstalled.

?!  Do you know anything more about what this term means?

• So that means there's 3 of us then! Guess I'm in good company... :-|

I've been browsing around in the code and -where I certainly do not understand every line- I got the impression that the error-count increases when no update from the GPS is seen where it's expected. 

Looking at the GPS updates, I can indeed see cases where there are gaps in the GPS timestamp. E.g. in the first picture you can see it skips stamps 602217200, 602219200 and 602220200. In the second picture you can see that this is around the same time where the INAVErr starts climbing from 0 to 39 (last column).

My question would now be to find out whether a message @ 602217200 from the GPS was completely missing (i.e. the GPS module is at fault or misconfigured) or whether it was missed/miss-interpreted (i.e. the ArduCopter SW is at fault). Not sure how to monitor all messages send from the GPS to the Pixhawk though?

Or there could be a HW issue similar between the 3 if us but that seems unlikely...

3702835825?profile=original

3702835574?profile=original

• RE: Hans

I see what you're mean. It should be updating at 200ms (5hz) but is skipping a beat. All I want to  know is if the value of 255 (however that is derived) can cause the copter to malfunction. And if it can, why. That's it in a nutshell. What does the value of 255 represent?

• I am getting this same error...I discovered this issue on the thread which discusses that the CSGM8N causes PM issues....and Randy Confirmed that this INAVerr could be a real issue....I have the Rctimer M8N as my primary while the CSGshop M8N as my secondary ..both of them show the same error even after exchanging both of them...any idea if his may cause a fly away or a crash ??

• Looking at my KMZ file there are big gaps in between subsequent GPS updates ....I just went ahead and gathered the guts to fly an auto mission today and it went fine ...no issues but I get an intermittent bad GPS health message as well as the GPS glitch tune...I am attaching the KMZ file for anyone to have a look ...also my PM message has the APM speed error which shows almost 500 Slow loop lines...I am running a hexa-copter APM 3.2.1 latest stable release

2015-03-07 17-11-55.kmz

This reply was deleted.

Activity