Distributor

LidarLite working correctly? - SOLVED

Hi

I am trying to set up a LidarLite sensor from PulsedLight.

I set it up according to the wiki (new sensor, manufactured Feb 2015, interfaced with a Pixhawk)

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-optional-hardware/common-rangefinder-landingpage/common-rangefinder-lidarlite/

In the wiki it points to the Flight Data Screen to test the sensor,

but I only get zero as reading in this window.

But if I check in the terminal,

I can see that the sensor is working (see attached file),

so is it working ok? Is the wiki wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Capture.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Stephan,

I also have exactly the same problem as you had.

My new LIDAR-Lite unit I have received yesterday has no data output.

You have sent your unit to Felix Meissner.

What did he find?

How did you solve your problem?

Thanks,

Fred

• Does someone has the Lidar working in AutoMission?

• Hi,

sorry to barge in on the thread like that but i am having issues with my Lidar connection to pixhawk.

I followed the wiring instruction for Lidar via PWM as shown in the wiki website.

Resistor value: 470ohm

Mission planner ver: 1.3.30

Arducopter firmware: Copter V3.3-rc7

Parameter list settings as followed:

• RNGFND_TYPE = 5
    • RNGFND_STOP_PIN = 55
    • BRD_PWM_COUNT = 4
    • RNGFND_SCALING = 1
    • RNGFND_OFFSET = 0

I have finally gotten rid of the "Bad Lidar Health" warning i think, it was very intermittent kind of thing. There are times when the warning shows up and there are time it do not. However when i disconnect Mission Planner from the pixhawk multiple time today, there have been no more "Bad Lidar Health" warning, which is good i guess.

I have read through your(this) thread and followed all possible way. But there is still an issue that i encountered.

When i armed the quad and power it up, under the status tab, Sonar Range and Sonar Value shows 0 with no data being read. Anyone has encountered similar situation? 

Would appreciate any guidance from you for my school project.

Thank You.

• Developer

Are you powering the servo rail with either an ESC or BEC?  Double check you have the cables connected to the correct pins on the Pixhawk.  And I can see your running the 3.3beta which is great as it has the LIDAR support in it.  If it still doesn't work please post a dataflash (.bin) log file.

Thanks, Grant.

• Looking for help with altitude sensors

In various flight modes including loiter I know that altitude is varied from the feedback from the sensor, however how do you use these rangefinders in a set mission? I appreciate that they have a working altitude and you are not aware of when they are active within a mission. Also that the inbuilt barometer takes over when the sensor leaves off. I also know there is an underlying database of height values that are drawn from Google which has a very limited accuracy.

When planning a mission there are three options when setting altitude: relative I understand altitude decisions are made in reference to take off point determined by barometer; terrain I assume sets altitude from google database + the altitude set in the mission, as for absolute – I have no idea.

I have Maxbotic MB1260 working on my Iris+ and can see it working in loiter over varied terrain however am reluctant to try and use it within a mission as I don’t understand if I would use absolute or terrain.

David

• MR60

You understood it right. the altitude defined at each of your waypoints in a mission will be relative to the location where your armed the ship, if you are working in relative mode. In addition if you activated "terrain following", the google map known altitude will be added on top of that (the objective is that you avoid to crash into a hill).

If you use absolute, your ship will just use the absolute baro altitude.

• Thanks - do you know if absolute height uses other sensor data like that produced by sonar or a Lidarlite to supliment the baro data?? 

• MR60

No, either the altitude is derived from the baro or a sonar takes over under 7meters or a lidar takes over under 40 meters (as configured in the params).

This reply was deleted.

Activity