Long Endurance

I want to build a fixed wing drone with the longest possible endurance possible. I'm thinking electric pusher(for aerial video) with solar panels and alternator(s) to charge the batteries. I have very little experience in building fixed wings but have extensive experience with multi and single rotors. And also with aerial video/photography. It can be over 55lbs, since im willing to get FAA experimental licencing for it. Im also planing on using an airport hangar so it should be large enough to be seen by small aircraft such as cessnas. The wingspan should also be around 30-40ft. And if we have to go to a gas motor, it would have to be an aviation motor being able to use AA or Jet-A fuel.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So i looked into it and it only has a 14.5ft wingspan. A piper cub has an almost 33ft wingspan, so its way to small, we need something with at least a 20ft wingspan, but i do like the way your going with this. And im in the US.

• There are so many more obstacles than determining a frame for something this large. Do you have xperience building fixed wing systems? The whole concept is impractical- you ll need so much redundancy- definitely more than one autopilot running in parallel- and unless you are a professional your'e putting people and the hobby at risk

• Well i have a fairly large experience in aerospace and electrical engineering

• I don't believe that for a second.  You are on a hobby forum asking about building the equivalent of a predator drone and getting FAA certification on it to fly around densely populated areas taking video for fun.  Try again.

• You can't even get your story straight.

• Thats because the drone is going to be about 1/3 the size of a predator, it also will not have the range or endurance. Its going to be, essentially, a large RC plane. 

• Have you checked this?
    http://www.fpvflying.com/products/Super-Huge-MUGIN-4450mm-UAV-%28H%...

Under $5k with shipping, 15kg(33lbs) payload and 27 liters of fuel, that should probably give you a couple hours of flight.

• i havent looked at it in detail, but that looks pretty good, thanks

• I would love to tinker with that bad boy.  However that will never fit his goal of being a certified or experimental actual aircraft.  His goal is entirely unrealistic though.

For others looking at this thing, note that you have a final approach to landing speed of 45mph!  This thing's slowest phase of flight is faster than the maximum speed of most others we deal with on here.  This thing is NOT a toy by any means.

• No, it was never a toy, this is going to be a full certified aircraft

This reply was deleted.

Activity