Magneto Calibration

I've just fitted a new magneto to my oilpan as the previous one gave very random values. I know it works as when fitted to my Arducopter it does what it is supposed to and gives the correct headings and nice smooth value changes.

However when fitted to my Arduplane it is not working very well at all. Here are some typical values when pointing at the cardinal points:

N 279, xyz 18,80,103

W 241, xyz -108,226,108

E 155, xyz -151,-62,105

S 197, xyz -249,85,110

These values are about the same whether the APM is in or out of the aircraft. 

This doesn't seem quite right to me!! Anyone any suggestions before I reload the Arduplane software - I am using ver 2.24. 

Peter

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Romero, 

Thank you for the suggestions - I will watch the video and see if I can resolve the problem. 

I am not convinced that the problem is caused by magnetic interference for two reasons: 1. The Oilpan with the magneto work fine on my Arducopter APM, 2. It makes no difference if the Olipan is fitted in the aircraft or removed with its APM to the bench - the problem is the same.

I think the problem is to do with the offset values which are stuck from the old faulty magneto. The xyz values I reported look as if they could be resolved correctly. Whether this is caused by my changing from a 5843 to 5883 I am not sure.

The solution I will try is to reset the EEPROM to try and clear the offset values and then see if that cures the problem.

Peter  

• Peter,

i had the same problem, and i first started with soldering it on the  Board as posted here http://code.google.com/p/ardupirates/wiki/Magnetos, and i was getting similar values as as you posted. Then i tried it away from tall electronics and screwed by the holes in the excess tab and the screws themselves were metallic and were the cause of  the sensor to do the same as you mentioned.  then I removed it away from all metallic abstraction using double sided tape and tie wraps and that did the job. Depending on where you buy your electronics some of the solder or components used will have some metallic materials that will cause your magentometer sensor give different readings.

Also here is this post From Jani one of the Software developers in the adrucopter Team. HE is really friendly and i think he will answer some of your questions. I know him Personally as he lives not too far from where I live.

http://code.google.com/p/ardupirates/wiki/Configuring

It might not  be a professional respond but it all worked for me at the end... hope its the same for you... 

Good luck 

Romero

This reply was deleted.

Activity