MediaTek MT3329 GPS

Hi all,

I have bought a MediaTek MT3329 GPS chip, very nice, and am using it with my Arduino Nano.

I am trying to set it to output the diydrones message message at 10Hz, 38400baud.

I believe the setup code should be:

Serial.begin(38400);

Serial.print("$PMTK220,100*2F\r\n");

Serial.print("$PMTK251,38400*27");
Serial.print("$PGCMD,16,0,0,0,0,0*6A\r\n");

However, this doesn't seem to work.  It is printing all sorts of other messages to the screen, GGA, GSA etc, but nothing starting with 0xB5, 0x62.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Simon

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, I got it working.

Turned out the code on the DiyDrones site is fine (as I suspected).  The problem was the SoftwareSerial library.  In the software buffer is so small it wasn't able to receive 2 NMEA messages GGA and RMC.  It will just receive GGA and VTG if you ammend the buffer size to 128bytes in the SoftwareSerial.h header.  Increase any more than this and you get horrible memory violations (on the Arduino Nano).

So, using the DiyDrones code for NMEA, editing the init() to give me GGA and VTG (look at the links on the product page), and edit the SoftwareSerial.h to take 128 bytes rather than 64, now works fine.  I'm even running it all without a level shift at 5v (lol, it's going to blow eventually!).

Hope this helps pal

• Have you had any luck with your GPS sensor? It looks like I will have to get a new one and I am wondering what people think of the 3329.

Russ

russnagel1@yahoo.com

This reply was deleted.

Activity