I just installed the update to MP 1.3.39 and realized that the Dataflash auto analysis is broken.

.bin files I could auto-analyze in the previous version of MP result in a "Failed to start LogAnalyzer" followed by a bad input file message wit this release.

I attached one of my .bin files in question

Any insights?

111.BIN

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My computer runs an Intel Xeon E5-2630, 16Gb RAM and Windows 7 Pro 64Bit. The Auto Analysis fails on a 50Mb log from around a 25 min flight, with some non flying time before hand. Just tried it again and it killed MP, causing it to close.

1) Is it best to run this on the BIN or the LOG as it seems to convert the BIN to a LOG before it can start anyway ?

2) Is there anything I can do to make this work, or are the flights just to long ?

Thanks

• Developer

mp will run fine on x86 (joystick support requires this), the log analyzer will only run on x64 (due to memory issues).

x86/32bit only supports 2gb of memory, and the analyzer uses a lot of memory.

if you install python yourself you MAY be able to run the log analyzer however.

• Not silly at all as it IS a 32 bit program and is installed into the x86 area where x86 programs are installed. The program calls on functions though that are OS controlled and the OS can call on more than 2 gigs of memory.  And yes it is related :) And it comes down to the core function of the OS and how it, for lack of a better word, partitions memory and gives access to memory requests,

Jeremy Randle said:

This might be a silly question, but I note that my copy of Mission Planner is installed in the /Programs Files (x86) directory. For some reason I had it in my mind that this is where 32 bit versions of programs were typically installed. Is this correct ?

I also note that that the Auto Analysis seems to fail on larger files. Could they be related ?

If so, how do I get a 64 bit version of Mission Planner, or is the program the same and the discussion is solely about whether Windows is 64 Bit ?

Thanks

• This might be a silly question, but I note that my copy of Mission Planner is installed in the /Programs Files (x86) directory. For some reason I had it in my mind that this is where 32 bit versions of programs were typically installed. Is this correct ?

I also note that that the Auto Analysis seems to fail on larger files. Could they be related ?

If so, how do I get a 64 bit version of Mission Planner, or is the program the same and the discussion is solely about whether Windows is 64 Bit ?

Thanks

• "Mission Planner" works "fine" on 32 bit as a whole, but the Auto Log Analyzer portion doesn't work so well on larger logs on x86 and as more and more stuff gets logged then the size will grow and as the size grows it is no longer feasible to keep trying to "dumb" things down for older computer to be able to run it. Every day there are fewer and fewer older computers running x86 operating systems. ALL newer PC's are x64 capable and tend to come with x64 windows and only really OLD computers can't run x86 and only pretty much people who upgraded from an old x86 windows or bought an old PC with x86 windows already on it are today running x86 at all. 

It's almost selfish to expect the devs to have to write code that will run on old or outdated systems and x86 is an outdated architecture even if running on newer hardware that is capable of running x64, It holds them back and everyone suffers and let's face it 99% of current [within the last few years] computers are capable of running x64 so there is no incentive to pander to the 1%. Does it suck? Well it does if you're still the 1% but the 99% should not be punished for it.

• Michael Oborne said:

the key is x64.

ie xp is no longer supported. the reason behind this is the 2gb memory limit. a 40mb bin file was failing because of memory issues.

Thanks Michael. So what you are saying is that 32bit machines running Windows 10, not XP, are no longer supported by MP?
    This would be a bummer.
  • Also you are saying that those that run Win7/8/8,1/10 X86 are going to have memory issues as well. That is good to know for future reference. Thanks for that tidbit of info.

Craig said:

Thank you Mr. Oborne for chiming in. And since you're the actual author of said Mission Planner people don't have to take my word for it, they got it straight from the horse's mouth :)

So "technically" they could format and install XP64 and it should work? Even though XP64 really isn't XP, it's 2000 server with XP's skin, but still :)

Michael Oborne said:

the key is x64.

ie xp is no longer supported. the reason behind this is the 2gb memory limit. a 40mb bin file was failing because of memory issues.

• Thank you Mr. Oborne for chiming in. And since you're the actual author of said Mission Planner people don't have to take my word for it, they got it straight from the horse's mouth :)

So "technically" they could format and install XP64 and it should work? Even though XP64 really isn't XP, it's 2000 server with XP's skin, but still :)

Michael Oborne said:

the key is x64.

• Developer

the key is x64.

• To your issues it very well may that Micheal changed how the files are uncompressed with 1.3.39 the rest went towards Chuck's post.

I was able to auto analyize your logs just fine using 1.3.39 myself

Stephan said:

I am on Windows 10.
    Craig your response is a bit cryptic. The files are the same as the ones I could auto-analyze with the previous MP versions w/o problems right before the update to 1.3.39.
    Since I am apparently not the only one I count this as a bug in MP
This reply was deleted.

Activity