Hi all!

Total newbie here with PixHawk, etc.

I have my new hardware today (Pixhawk, GPS, 3DR Radios, etc). So I decide to connect it to my computer and start learning the software.

I have the PixHawk connected via the USB cable. It seems to work. Getting ready for a quad (FW450), I try to upload ArduCopter 3.13 Quad. It seems to flash the firmware ok. But when I reboot the PixHawk, I get the tones (musical, then two tones). But now I can't communicate with the PixHawk, no HUD info, etc. It also won't allow me to do much with the 'Initial setup', other than flash new firmware. I can't even see the 'Mandatory setup' buttons (when using APM Planner).

Now, if I choose ArduPlane 3.0.2 instead of ArduCopter 3.1.3, and try the same steps, it seems to mostly work, meaning when the flash is done, I seem to connect ok to the PixHawk, and the HUD on the Flight Data screen seems to work.

So I seem a bit lost. Why am I having problems? ;)

I have tried Mission Planner (1.3.1) as well as APM Planner. Both seem to have the same problems.

Since the problem changes, depending on if I choose ArduCopter, or ArduPlane, then it feels like an issue with the ArduCopter 3.1.3 firmware.

NOTE: I don't have my RC receiver connected yet. Could this cause issues like this? If so, why is ArduPlane acting differently.

Thanks for any hints or guidance.

Regards,

Rich

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another symptom of this issue is that the status LED is dark, No lights or blinking (or breathing) of any colors at all.

• While I was testing I saw that ArduCopter 3.1.4 showed up. This also has the same problem in that I can't get the Flight Data to Connect (no heartbeat packets reported by Mission Planner).

Howver ArduCopter 3.2-dev Quad seems to work ok.

Rob, how do I find/load 3.1.0? Sorry to ask, I haven't found how to do this yet?

Note that I just received this PixHawk yesterday, could it be a new hardware rev?

So what do I do now, or can't I try to build my quad and fly until 3.2 is released? ;)

• Developer
    Try holding down the safety button when you power on. And wait enough time for the two tones to stop, as its probably reflashing the io board.
    • Hi Bill,

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried holding the safety button down as I plugged in the USB cable, and waited for the tones to stop. Then I tried to update the firmware again. it and it didn't seem to make any difference. Hopefully I did it correctly.

Just to be sure, I also added a battery to my RC receiver, so the servo rail had 4.8v. And then I retried, and I get the same results.

• Developer

the "musical tones" are probably trying to tell you something.  .. see http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-apm-board-leds/#PixhawkPX4_...

• David, these might be "special" musical tones not on the list.

Rich, something else I'd like you try is loading an older firmware.  3.1.0.  That might also work.  I ran into this problem last week.  Either 3.1.0, or Ctrl-Q "latest" might work.

• Rob,

Sorry to have to request this again, can you tell me where I can find a respository of the older firmware builds? I've been searching, but so far, can only find source files, but not the binary to be loaded into the PixHawk.

Also, should I submit a more formal bug report somwhere since now ArduCopter 3.1.3 and 3.1.4 both fail in the same way?

• Developer

The plane code has a bit newer Pixhawk support. To see if that is the issue you could try loading the 'latest' firmware for copter instead of the stable release. On the MissionPlanner firmware install screen type control-Q to see these firmware builds.

You shouldn't necessarily fly with these latest releases, but it will at least help diagnose the issue.

Cheers, Tridge

This reply was deleted.

Activity