Pixhawk causing motor sync issues.

I believe I have a problem with my Pixhawk and was hoping for some help.  Also posted this on rcgroups.

The issue is that when my speed controllers are hooked up to the Pixhawk they exhibit a bad sync issue.  However when they are connected to my old APM (3.1) or just a receiver directly they do not exhibit these symptoms.  This has resulted in 4 crashes now until I just tonight narrowed down the issue to the Pixhawk.

Can anyone advise what is going on?  Here are the specs of my setup:

Afro 30A ESC's with SimonK firmware (have tried all versions, and made my own with various parameters)

Tiger MT2216-9 1100kv motors

4S 3700mah battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_gVoY8q8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTK81IANyUE

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Yes, I am in San Diego.  It would be great to have you come down. Thank you.  I will PM you to arrange a day and time.

• Craig I am in Los Angeles. Are you in San Diego? I'd rather bring my whole setup down to you than ship anything. I know xoltri shipped you a motor and esc and you guys said you were unable to reproduce the issue. If I bring my setup down well have no issue reproducing the problem.

• admit, 3dr is not the best cs company. an they should definitely address this incompatibility at least as a good will measure. 

• I like how people say "its not a pixhawk problem" even though it was never a problem with APM or multiwii. Its like saying "we built a car with square wheels and its the tire manufactures problem for not making square tires..."

• I had a similar problem with my afro esc and some Sunny Sky 2300(ish) motors for my mini quad. Predictably for a while i could always be sure that within 2-3 minutes one motor would cut out. Since it would randomly pick different motors each time, i was pretty sure it wasnt the motors that were bad or the escs. In the end the solution to the problem was flashing the esc with the latest SimonK firmware and the motor stops are gone.

When i was testing, i would simply hover and move about slowly about 50cm above the ground in manual mode and sure enuff it would cut out. Even when i crashed it wasnt from very high, and nothing ever broke. I guess iwas trying to demonstrate to myself the problem was reproducable. Everything else was fine, batteries full etc. 

I ve got quite a few simonK afros on regular sized multirotors and have never had an issue, but it cant hurt to flash them, things can only get better :)

• Afro esc working ok with your bec power, if use external ubec, lost sync and not good workin. Cable length is also an issue. 

• Im not as "technical" as everyone on here. Im a merely an end user. I am the target market. I am a simple RC enthusiast.

As a "user", Im very keen that people stop pointing fingers and start working on a solution, so my question is:

1) Is this recognised as a problem

2) Is someone owning a solution

3) When will the solution be ready

The answers to above will help me, and the rest of the market decide where we take our "investment" in the future.

Thanks

• Not admitted as an issue. Do not care about end users who have it. 

No response then....

• Developer
        Seriously, people are looking at it. When there is useful info, it will be posted. I have not yet been sent a single motor ESC combo that behaves like this when wired correctly, so, if you have one, and it's behaving badly, and you have it wired correctly, ie signal and ground connected. Feel free to send it into 3DR, and mark it att Philip
        I would be more than happy to look into it further.
        • Developer

I still have your motor sitting here on my desk.   I was going to send it back to you but that was right in the middle of the "No exports" mess.  If you want it back let me know and I can ship it now.

In the meantime we have tested it with a bunch of ESCs and it works perfectly when wired correctly with the signal and return connected. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity