Pixhawk flyaway in stabilized mode?

A little background. 

This flyaway occurred on a dji s900 setup with a Pixhawk fc, dji hardware, and an ImmersionRX Ezuhf diversity receiver. I've flown this setup countless times in loiter, auto, and stabilized flight modes without problem. My transmitter is a Taranis Plus with ImmersionRC EzUhf transmitter module. I always fly with missionPlanner open and connected on a ground station laptop and have had success with using that radio connection for flight mode changing / auto mission waypoint selection. 

Now for the flyaway. Here is a short video clip from partway through the flyaway. The Diversity monitor I was using at the time of the flight didn't have a DVR so the only dvr I have is when it was already out of sight and I grabbed my FPV goggles and started recording with its DVR. The craft was on an auto mission (~200 meters away) when it suddenly tipped forward and to the right and then started acting very weird (while in auto ie shouldnt have been happening). I immediately switched to loiter which gave limmited control and I tried to bring it back to me. It still wasn't responding correctly though and so I switched to stabilized mode which still yielded little to no control. The craft wasn't losing altitude, just not responding correctly to my commands. At this point it had come back and was only about 100 meters away from me at about 200 feet altitude. At this point I could see from its FPV feed, from a hard mounted FPV cam, that my attempts to yaw or roll the craft with my transmitter in all flight modes were not having any effect on it. At this point I switched to failsafe mode on my transmitter, but the craft continued to switch itself back and forth between loiter and stabilized mode rapidly. It passed me at this point in the opposite direction of its auto mission and then seemed to get stuck in stabilized mode and started flying full throttle away at a 24 degree heading (Ive had the transmitter in RTH mode for a while now). It ended up flying full throttle for about 12 minutes before coming down about 3 miles away. I have looked at the logs in mission planner etc and can't figure out what exactly happened. Any advice or insight would be great!

I had to compress the bin file since it was 8.7mb, so the bin file is and kmz files are attached for reference. 



You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –


  • MR60

    From your log, there is a very weird CTUN Desired Altitude that becomes negative to -100 meters erratically on long periods, then comes back to same values as the effective altitude for a short while then dips back to high negative values.

    A baro issue ?

    Also there is to be by moments very high vibrations, that stop by moments, then again high vibrations. that makes me think about something touching/bumping your flight controller by moments : a loose cable ?

    High vibrations are known to be a cause for flyaways.

  • Posting to discuss.ardupilot.org will probably be better for you
This reply was deleted.


DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @breadcentric: Evo is coming to town. If you have an #AWS #DeepRacer, you can purchase an extension pack! https://t.co/w60JwI98Hp #Machi…
4 hours ago
DIY Robocars via Twitter
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @chr1sa: My talk on PX4 and FAA certification is coming up at 1:45 PST today on the PX4 Dev Summit livestream. Includes some cool new st…
Jul 7
DIY Drones via Twitter
RT @seesharp: I'm tuned into the PX4 / Dronecode free live conference. Great stuff. Microsoft AirSim talk in 10 minutes. https://t.co/0zbZ2…
Jul 6
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @masato_ka: 距離センサを3つとESP32を付けたラジコンカーをDonkeyCarライクにNNで自動走行。3層FC極小モデルをTensorFlow Lite for microcontrollerで動かしてる。機体は借り物でRumiCarって言います。Tenso…
Jul 5
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: My car was able to go all the way autonomously until the crosswalk. It was only 100 yards from the target. What should b…
Jul 4
Liam left a comment on Agricultural UAVs
I'm Liam from T-MOTOR. I would like to reach out to see if there is any possibility for us to work together.
We are a propulsion system manufacturer who offers motors, propellers and ESCs for all kinds of drone applications which vary from secur…"
Jun 30
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Smart move. The car used the shadow to guide it through the bridge. This was never in the training samples. But it learn…
Jun 30
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: Getting closer to the target. Single camera. Untrained road. https://t.co/Wsr7RwDamj
Jun 29
Richard Cox left a comment on Australia
"Anyone in the DIYDRONES Australian subgroup based in Alice Springs, NT?
I am experimenting with Ardupilot (standard Arduplane), Pixhawk 4 FC in a 4-ch
RC "AXN Floater Jet" foamy plane..."
Jun 29
Omar Sykes left a comment on Australia
"Hi everyone, I am looking for someone who is good at drone building, repair and software in Adelaide. Please give me a call on 0477 319 219."
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @RoboticMasters: #donkeycar https://t.co/czuLoVRcA4
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @RoboticMasters: Donkey car, car car car car car car; Donkey car, car car car car car car; Donkey Car. Anyone like our tiny tiny donkey…
Jun 29
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @SmallpixelCar: After improving DBSCAN speed, I can get 11 frame per second on @NVIDIAEmbedded Jerson Xavier MAXN mode and the autonomou…
Jun 26
DIY Robocars via Twitter
RT @Heavy02011: Join us at next Virtual Race League: ⁦@diyrobocars⁩ Race #4 - Parking Lot Nerds, August 1st https://t.co/5KUpu7VGaH
Jun 25