I have been pulling my hair out over this one!   My S500 quad was built as an lightweight Hero 4 mule with Pixhawk clone, 433 mhz telemetry and a 3 axis gimbal.

I have built many quads and that hard fought knowledge has resulted in a nice compact AP platform with about 20 mins endurance.

However, I am being plagued with uncommanded high speed climbs in autopiloted flight modes (Loiter, Drift, RTL).  I call them 'zoom climbs'.   I have checked the usual telemetry data (IMU vibration - OK, Baro output, GPS HDOP, GPS Glitch etc) but cannot see anything to explain this behaviour.

If anyone with more insight than me could review the attached dataflash log and suggest a reason - it would be a relief!  

Line 27 shows where I selected Drift Mode and the copter climbed immediately.  I then used the throttle to try and regulate the climb and then centred it - at which point the climb continued and I took manual control back to recover.

Zeke, 

Worcester,

UK.

2015-01-10 16-27-56.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• did not had time to check your log yet, but it's very likely too much z vibrations.
    Read up on vibrations, and check your imu.accz
    • Hi Andre,

you were right.  I remounted my Pixhawk using one of the methods suggested in the Arducopter instructions and test flew today.   No more zoom climbs.  Very windy, but she handled 20mph gusts!

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction. 

Zeke,

Worcester,

UK.

• Having had a second look IMU 2 z output ranges between -3 and -25 - outside the acceptable range.

I will try some more damping for the FC and report back.

Thanks

This reply was deleted.

Activity