Developer

PixRacer with Ardupilot

This is a discussion to focus the feedback and support of ardupilot on the PixRacer board from AUAV.co.

We believe that all teething problems encountered are now resolved and so we recommend people load Copter-3.3.4 which is available for all multicopters through the Mission Planner's (and other GCS's) Install Firmware screens.  Note that because regular Pixhawks are still on Copter-3.3.3 the install icon may show Copter-3.3.3 but rest assured, Copter-3.3.4 will be installed (you can check the version by looking at the very top of the Mission Planner).

3691274249?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Randy and Tridge will you look at this LOG?

• I wish I could message you a cold beer for condolences :[ Hope somebody can help sort out what it was for ya. 

• well, it was a hell-of-a-show dirt and pieces flying. I hope some of the good people can tell me what happened.

• I have tried ever combination of firmware available past present beta.  All I get is spektrum not supported or bind failed. I think the bind failure was closer to the correct firmware. I have orange receivers and original spectrum DSMX and DSM2. I never had seen the receiver go into bind mode.

The system will work automatically fine in PPM or SBUS. But it’s now about I just want to know what is not working. There is something I am just missing. Anybody got any tips.    IS it windows 10 or something.      

• Just thought I would share one of my High School teams final project with the racer group.  We have been upgrading firmware when it looked like major stability changes were made and I just uploaded todays latest build.  This quad is a bit larger than some of the samples I have seen at 350cm and a bit heavy.  The team designed and built this using a box of parts I supplied.  The center plates are acrylic cut on a laser and carbon tubes set in 3d printed blocks.  This has flown well from the first flight about a month ago and after some very basic adjustments and the latest FW it flies extremely well.  After lowering throttle mid to 60 it is stable as a rock, holds altitude even in fairly windy conditions.  Thanks to the hardware and firmware developers.  This has been a great experience for my Students and they learned a significant amount over the last couple of months.

IMG_5931.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702241265?profile=original
    • Now that's some teaching!!! NICE!!!!  Both my parents were teachers there was a saying, "Don't let an education get in the way of learning". It's awesome when they get BOTH :] 

• Developer

great, glad you enjoyed it!

• Today I tried APM:Copter V3.4-dev (388a6683) and my ESCs are still not starting after the boot. With PX4 I am getting 5 long beeps during the boot (I am running on 5s). With APM two long beeps and then continues short beeps. I believe it is indicating that PWM is out of range. As far as I understood, if I have ESC calibrated successfully on the same hardware with PX4 I don't need to recalibrate. Is there anything that I can try to make it work with APM?

• Developer

As far as I understood, if I have ESC calibrated successfully on the same hardware with PX4 I don't need to recalibrate. Is there anything that I can try to make it work with APM?

The purpose of ESC calibration is twofold:

1. ensure all your ESCs respond to the same PWM range
      2. ensure the ESCs and the flight controller agree on the range of PWM that will be used

in ArduCopter the PWM range for the ESCs is set by RC3_MIN to RC3_MAX. Note that these must match the throttle channel range of your transmitter.

My guess would be that your RC3_MIN does not match the minimum PWM you used when you calibrated the ESCs.

• Thank you Andrew. I did a couple of quick tests to make sure RC_PWM values are correct. Here are my PX4 values

1 1 RC3_MAX 1962.000000000000000000 9
        1 1 RC3_MIN 1055.000000000000000000 9
        1 1 RC3_REV 1.000000000000000000 9
        1 1 RC3_TRIM 1508.000000000000000000 9

APM values

RC3_DZ,30
        RC3_MAX,1964
        RC3_MIN,1054
        RC3_REV,1
        RC3_TRIM,1508

One thing may make a difference is that my throttle channel is mapped to channel 2, probably because I run Deviation with Orange DSMX receiver.

RCMAP_PITCH,1
        RCMAP_ROLL,3
        RCMAP_THROTTLE,2
        RCMAP_YAW,4

Another observation is when I connect battery without USB connected, my ESC would start a startap sequence with two beeps and at the same time PixRacer would play tones. After two beeps the safty switch light becomes solid (i have safety disabled) and seems like Pixracer interrupts startup of my ESCs and I got continues short beeps. Does it make any sense?

This reply was deleted.

Activity